This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laboratory Simulation of Landing Gear Pitch-Plane Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A technique for laboratory dynamometer simulation of landing gear-brake dynamics is discussed. The method was developed as a means of improving certain limitations of conventional dynamometer testing with and without actual strut hardware. The test fixture, the basis for its similitude, assumptions, and design criteria are described. Background includes descriptions of the form and significance of brake-induced vibration and the concept of a critical torque-speed slope as it relates to system stability criteria. Use of this fixture enables the duplication of brake squeal modes otherwise masked by standard dynamometer fixturing. The large linear range of amplitude and damping permit operation in a deliberately unstable condition to verify stability margins. Examples of the application and verification of the technique are included.
CitationEnright, J., "Laboratory Simulation of Landing Gear Pitch-Plane Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 851937, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851937.
- Wignot Hoblit “Landing Gear Oscillations due to Unstable Skidding Friction,” Journal of the Aeronautical Science 16 8 August 1949
- Zimmerman, N.H. “Landing Gear Vibrations Induced by Skidding Tires - Theoretical and Experimental Study,” McDonnell Aircraft Corporation 1958
- Singh Busby “Aircraft Multidisk Brake Squeal, Phase I, Preliminary Analytical and Experimental Studies,” Ohio State University 1984
- Anon. “Aircraft Terminology,” SAE Document AIR 1489 April 1977
- Kaiser, W.D. “Vibration Suppressor for Braked Wheels,” Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company United States Patent No. 3,630,578 December 20 1971
- Anon. “Brake Dynamics,” SAE Document AIR 1064A July 1979
- Enright, J.J. “Dynamic Compatibility Analysis of Landing Gears,” BFGoodrich Engineering Report 4774 January 1979