This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Simulation of Automotive Body Crash Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a three-dimensional crash simulation program code-named ‘CRASH’ and its evaluation. This program predicts body deformation behavior of an automotive vehicle in a crash.
In the program the body is represented by a structure consisting of beam elements. The inelastic deformation is calculated with the simplified constitutive equation using the yielding function. Reduced load carrying capacities due to local deformations are considered by means of representative static load-deformation curves obtained by experiments. Deformation behavior of the structural members with the above properties are analyzed with direct integration scheme taking the strain rate effects into consideration. Large displacements of structural members are also accurately calculated with the coordinate transformation matrices taking account of the finite rotations.
Comparisons between analytical and experimental results of frontal barrier collision of automotive vehicles at 48km/h (30mph) showed good correlations in various aspects of crash behaviors.
|Technical Paper||Lumped-Parameter Modeling of Frontal Offset Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Applications and Limitations of 3-Dimensional Vehicle Rollover Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Stiffness Parameters for Vehicle Collision Analysis, an Update|
CitationYamaoka, H., Sakai, H., Ariyoshi, T., and Fujii, M., "Computer Simulation of Automotive Body Crash Response," SAE Technical Paper 851685, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851685.
- Miura N. Kawaraura K. “An Analysis of Deformation Mechanism in Head-On Collision” SAE Paper No. 680484 1968
- Kamal M. M. “Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle to Barrier Impact” SAE Transactions 79 SAE Paper No. 700414 1970
- Ni C.M. Fine D. S. “Predicting Crush Response of Automotive Structural Components” SAE Paper No. 780671 1978
- Ni C. M. “A General Purpose Analytical Technique for Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Integrated Structures” SAE Paper No. 811304 1981
- Meredith D. Witmer E. A. Morman K. N. “Computer Code for Predicting the Two-Dimensional Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Beam Structures Subjected to Transient Loads and Impacts” SAE Paper No. 790989 1979
- Winter R. Mantus M. Pibko A. B. “Finite Element Crash Analysis of a Rear-Engine Automobile” SAE Paper No. 811306 1981
- Murase K. Nishimura T. “Visco-Plastic and Large Deformation Analysis and Its Applications (Axial Symmetric Deformation of Thin-Walled Circular Tube)” JSME Transactions, Ser. A 45 1979
- Maeda Y. Hayashi M. “Finite Displacement Analysis of Space-Framed Structures” Proc. of JSCE 253 1976