This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Dilution Mini-Tunnel and Its Availability for Measuring Diesel Exhaust Particulate Matter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a dilution mini-tunnel to allow measurement of diesel exhaust particulate emissions in transient operating cycles.
The dimensions of the tunnel were 84 mm inner diameter and 1.7 m length. A fraction of the total exhaust gas is drawn into the tunnel by an air ejector. The amount of exhaust gas depends on the flow rate of driving air in the air ejector corresponds to the operating engine speed.
Performance of the dilution mini-tunnel system was examined using a light-duty vehicle under steady-state conditions and FTP cycles.
A good correlation was found between the particulate emission rates measured in the mini-tunnel system and those measured in a total exhaust dilution tunnel system.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study on Microwave Regeneration Characteristics of Diesel Particulate After-Treatment System|
|Technical Paper||Effective Density of Diesel Exhaust Particles as a Function of Size|
CitationSuzuki, J., Yamazaki, H., Yoshida, Y., and Hori, M., "Development of Dilution Mini-Tunnel and Its Availability for Measuring Diesel Exhaust Particulate Matter," SAE Technical Paper 851547, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851547.
- Huisingh J. Bradow R, Jungers R. Claxton L. weidinger Z Tejada S. Bumgarner J. Duffield F. Waters M. Simmon V.F. Hare C. Rodriguez C. Snow L. Application of Bioassay to the Characterization of Diesel Particle Emissions, Application of Short-Term Bioassays in the Fractionation and Analysis of Complex Environmental Mixtures 1978
- Environmental Protection Agency Standard for Emission of Particulate Regulation for Diesel Fueled Light-Duty Vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks Federal Register 1980
- Harrington J.A. Yetter R.A. Application of a Mini-Dilution Tube in the Study of Fuel Effects on Stratified Charge Engine Emissions and Combustion SAE 811198
- MacDonald J.S., Steven L.P., James B.D., Richard M.S., Experimental Measurments of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples SAE 800185
- Inoue T. Noguchi H. Aoki K. Mori N. Ikeda S. Particulate Emission Characteristics from IDI Diesel Engine under Transient Operation XIX International FISITA Congress, Proceedings 1 1982
- Whitby R. Gibbs R. Hohnson R. Kill B. Shimpi S. Jorgenson R. Real-Time Diesel Particulate Measurtnent using A Tapered Element Oscillating Microbalance SAE 820463
- Hare C.T. Baines T.M. Characterization of Particulate and Gaseous Emissions from Tw Dresel Automobiles as Function of Fuel and Driving Cycle SAE 790424
- Marshall W.F. Clark C.R. McClellan R.O. Diesel Particulates and Bioassay Effect of Fuels, Vehicles, and Ambient Temperature SAE 820813
- Test Procedure for Measurment of Small Utility Engine Exhaust Emissions - SAE J1088 SAE Hand-Book 1981
- Clere J.C. Johnson J.H. A Computer Heatransfer and Hydrocarbone Adsorption Model for Predicting Diesel Particulate Emission in Dilution Tunnels SAE 821218
- Kastner L.J. Spooner J.R. An Investigation of the Performance and Design of the Air Ejector Employing Low-pressure Air as the Driving Fluid P.I.M.E. 162 1950