This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined Cycle Diesel-Stirling Heat Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new concept is described for a combined cycle Diesel-Stirling engine that promises to achieve an extraordinarily high thermal efficiency. The two basic cycles are coupled together in series, the high temperature exhaust gases from an adiabatic Diesel engine are fed into a high efficiency Stirling engine in such a way that both engines produce mechanical power. The whole combined cycle is highly turbocharged in order to get the desired power density, favorable heat transfer conditions and energy saving regeneration of exhaust gas heat.
The problems posed by such a combined cycle are examined and calculation results are presented and discussed using a mathematical model developed as a preliminary effort of optimization and evaluation.
CitationCarlqvist, S. and Kamo, R., "Combined Cycle Diesel-Stirling Heat Engine," SAE Technical Paper 851521, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851521.
- Kamo R. Bryzik W. “Cummins/TACOM Advanced Adiabatic Engine” SAE Paper 840428 1984
- Kamo R. Bryzik W. “Adiabatic Turbocompound Engine Performance Predictions” SAE Paper 780068 1978
- S.G. Carlqvist “The TSA Diesel Engine” Communication to R. Kamo Aug 27 1981
- Carlqvist S.G. “Swedish Patent: Method for Compressing and Heating etc.” Oct 22 1981
- Carlqvist S.G. Rosenqvist K.G. Gummesson G.G. “Developing the Stirling Engine for Fuel Economy in Marine, Industrial and Medium Duty Automotive Applications” 12th International Congress on Combustion Engines (CIMAC) Tokyo May 1977
- Carlqvist S.G. Darche M. Ducroux P. “The ECA Indirectly Heated Stirling Engine” 18th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Orlando, Florida August 1983
- Tozzi L. Sekar R. Kamo R. Wood J. C. “New Perspectives for Advanced Automotive Diesel” 18th Intersociety Energy Conversion Conference Orlando, Florida August 1983