This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Thermobile Nitinol Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
By using the stress-strain curves associated with Nitinol, both at TO (over its martensitic transition) and TU (under its martensitic transition), the principle of working mechanism for Nitinol Thermobile engine is analyzed.
Semiempirical calculation of the thermobile engine-efficiency show the efficiency to be dependent on the amount of strain imposed. An improved Thermobile engine which may prove ultimately suited for commercial application is introduced.
|Technical Paper||Space Applications of Nitinol Heat Engines|
CitationWang, F., "The Thermobile Nitinol Engine," SAE Technical Paper 851495, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851495.
- Askeland, D.R. “The Science and Engineering of Materials” Brooks/Cole Engineering Div. Monterey, CA 93940 1984
- “The properties of TiNi and Associated Phases” Office of Technical Services, U.S. Dept. of Commerce 1961
- Banks, Ridgway M. “Energy Conversion System” 1974
- Renner, E. “Thermal Engine” Cory, J.S. “Variable Density Heat Engine” Sandoval, D.J. “Thermal Motor” Hochstein, P.A. “Thermal Energy Converting Assembly” Johnson, A.D. “Memory Alloy Heat Engine and Method of Operation” Li, Y.T. “Thermal Engine with Entrapped Working Medium” Smith, R.H. “Continuous Loop Shape Memory Effect Heat Engine” Weyman, C.M. “Solid State Thermal Engine”
- Wang, F.E. MACHINE DESIGN 55 52 1983
- Kopa, R.D. “Efficiency of Energy Conversion in Nitinol” 1979
- Cross, W.B. Kariotis, A.H. Stimler, F.J. “Nitinol Characterization Study” 1971
- Wang, F.E. DeSavage, B.F. Buehler, W.J. “The Irreversible Critical Range in the TiNi Transition” J. Appl. Phys. 39 2166 1968
- Jackson, C.M. Wagner, H.J. Wasilewski, R.J. “55-Nitinol-The Alloy with a Memory: Its Physical Metallurgy, Properties and Application” 1972
- Wang, F.E. Buehler, W.J. Pickart, S.J. “Crystal Structure and a Unique ‘Martensitic’ Transition in TiNi” J. Appl. Phys. 36 3232 1965
- Wang, F.E. “Energy Conversion System” 1984
- Wang, F.E. Proceedings of the First International Conf. on Fracture 2 899 1965
- Buehler, W.J. Wang, F.E. “Summary of Recent Research on the ‘Nitinol’ Alloys and their Potential Application in Ocean Engineering” Ocean Eng. 1 105 1968
- Hamanaka, H. Miura, I. Doi, H. Suzuki, Y. “The Application of Improved NiTi Alloy for Actifical Joints” Trans. 8th Ann. Meet. The Soc. for Biomaterials April 1982