This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Origin and Development of Ablator for Space Shuttle External Tank
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
THE SPACE SHUTTLE EXTERNAL FUEL TANK (ET) is covered with a Thermal Protection System (TPS). The TPS materials are designed to prevent structural overheating during ascent/descent and maintain good quality cryogenic propellents until main engine cut off.
The primary TPS materials consist of a nonmetallic rigid foam and a composite ablator. These materials and processes were developed through an evolutionary procedure, driven by changing requirements, definitions, and progressively increasing delivery rates. The evolution, from contract start in 1973 to the present, is reviewed.
|Technical Paper||Flexible External Insulation on X-38|
|Technical Paper||Spray-on Foam Insulation Development for the Space Shuttle External Tank Thermal Protection System|
|Technical Paper||Reinforced Plastics Design Rolls-Royce RB.162 Lift Engine|
CitationRonquillo, L., "Origin and Development of Ablator for Space Shuttle External Tank," SAE Technical Paper 851385, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/851385.
- Space Shuttle External Tank Thermal Protection System (GNOS-83-013). Mills John P., Ronquillo Leon, and Brown Howard J.. Greater New Orleans Mini symposium, 1983.
- The History of Heat Shields for U.S. Manned Spacecraft (IAA-84-262). Ronquillo Leon. 18th IAA International Symposium on the History of Astronautics (35th International Astronautical Congress).
- Thermal Design of The Space Shuttle External Tank. Bachtel Frederick D., Vaniman Jerold L., Stuckey James M. Dr., Gray Carroll, and Widofsky Bernard. Space Shuttle Technical Conference, June, 1983.
- An Advanced Therml Protection System for the Aft Dome of the Space Shuttle External Tank (AIAA-84-1751). Ronquillo L., Williams C., and Gray C.. AIAA 19th Thermophysics Conference.
- Spray-on-foam Insulation Development for the Space Shuttle External Tank Thermal Protection System (SAE 840921). Gray C., Ronquillo L., and Williams C.. 14th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems.
- External Tank LWT Thermal Data Book. HMC Dwg. No. 80900200102, July 1982, NASA Contract NAS8-30300.
- External Tank Thermal Data Book. MMC Dwg. No. 82600200102, May 1981, NASA Contract NAS8-30300.
- Systems Definition Hand Book, Space Shuttle External Tank. MMC-ET-SE25-0, August 1980, NASA Contract NAS8-30300.
- Gray Carroll, Mills John, Miller Christopher, Huber Ron, Williams Chuck, Sharpe Boyd, Unpublished Work on External Fuel Tank Program.