This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interactive Computer Simulation of Drivetrain Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computer simulations of vehicle dynamics can be a useful investigative tool in drive-ability and NVH studies. As the present work demonstrates, oscillations of the drive-train under steady-state and transient conditions are amenable to mathematical analysis, especially in the torsional mode. Simulations of such a system with a lock-up torque converter are shown with emphasis on tip-in response, transmissibility of engine firing pulsations and self-excited oscillations. In particular, the method of interactive simulation is shown to be an effective design-aid tool in the investigation of drivetrain vibrations.
CitationTsangarides, M., Tobler, W., and Heermann, C., "Interactive Computer Simulation of Drivetrain Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 850978, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850978.
- Blumberg P. N. “Powertrain Simulation: A Tool for the Design and Evaluation of Engine Control Strategies in Vehicles,” SAE Paper 760158, Feb. 1976.
- Delosh R. G., Brewer K. J., Bush L. B., Ferguson T. F. W., and Tobler W. E. “Dynamic Computer Simulation of a Vehicle with Elactronic Engine Control,” SAE Paper 810447, Feb. 1981.
- Shindo Y., Ito H., and Ishihara T. “A Fundamental Consideration of Shift Mechanism of Automatic Transmission,” SAE Paper 790043, Feb. 1979.
- Chkamori S. and Yoshikawa N. “Analysis of Drive Train Noise and Vibration,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design, v. 2, no. 4, 1981, and references therein.
- Silberschlag R. “Centrifugal Torque Converter Clutch,” SAE Paper 840051, Feb. 1984.
- Tsangarides M. C. and Tobler W. E. “Dynamic Behavior of a Torque Converter with Centrifugal Bypass Clutch,” SAE Paper 850461, Feb. 1985.
- Hrovat D. and Tobler W. E. “Bond Graph Modeling and Computer Simulation of Automotive Torque Converters,” to appear in the Journal of the Franklin Institute.
- Ishihara T. and Emeri R. I. “Torque Converter as a Vibrator Damper and its Transient Characteristics,” SAE Paper 660368, Feb. 1966.
- Jandasek J. V. “Design of Single-Stage, Three-Element Torque Converter,” SAE Special Publication SP-186, Jan. 1961.
- Lucas G. G. and Rayner A. “Torque Converter Design Calculations,” Automobile Engineer, p. 56, Feb. 1970.
- Walker F. H. “Multiturbine Torque Converters,” included in “Design Practices-Passenger Car Automatic Transmissions,” SAE Publication, 1962.
- Kuramochi K., Shindo K., Kubo S., and Miura M. “Toyota New Four-Speed Automatic Transmission for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles,” SAE Paper 840049, Feb. 1984.
- Schwab M. “Electronic Control of a 4-Speed Automatic Transmission with Lock-Up Clutch,” SAE Paper 840448, Feb. 1984.
- Thomson W. T. “Theory of Vibrations with Applications,” Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1981.
- Girard D. D. “Fixed Step Friction Model,” Proceedings of the 1983 Summer Simulation Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 1983.
- Mencik Z., Tobler W. E., and Blumberg P. N. “Simulation of Wide-Open Throttle Vehicle Performance,” SAE Paper 780289, Feb. 1978.
- Tobler W. E. “General Rigid Body Dynamics and Application to Vehicle Behavior,” Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, 1974.
- Krenz R. A. “Vehicle Response to Throttle Tip-in/Tip-out,” to appear in the proceedings of the 1985 SAE Surface Vehicle Noise & Vibration Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, May 1985.
- Yoshimori K., Morimura H., Yoshimura Y., and Tsuchiga M. “Dynamic Shock Absorber Effect of Engine Mounting System on the Power-Train Vibration,” SAE Paper 840255, Feb. 1984.
- Haviland M. L., Goodwin M. C., and Rodgers J. J. “Friction Characteristics of Controlled-Slip Differential Lubricants,” SAE Paper 660778, Nov. 1966.
- Friesen T. V. “Chatter in Wet Brakes,” SAE Paper 831318, Feb. 1983.
- Experimental results provided by Torque Converter Engineering, Transmission and Axle Engineering, Ford Motor Company.
- Fox J. R. “Design Considerations for Wet Wheel Brakes,” SAE Paper 810696, Feb. 1981.
- Haviland M. L. and Rodgers J. J. “Automatic Transmission Fluids,” Lubrication Engineering, p. 110, Mar. 1961.
- Bunda T., Fujikawa A., and Yokoi K. “Friction Behavior of Clutch-Facing Materialsu Friction Characteristics in Low-Velocity Slippage,” SAE Paper 720522, Feb. 1972.