This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple technique has been developed for measuring the noise radiated by diesel engine surfaces in response to combustion excitation. Results using this technique correlate well with the established computer-based analysis technique. Combustion noise measurements from a direct injection engine show increases of 3dB(A) as fuel cetane number is reduced from 50 to 40CN. Combustion noise in high speed direct injection engines is much greater than in comparable indirect injection engines, and a fundamental study is described which indicates the rate of heat release diagrams required to minimise and optimise combustion noise. This work is supported by engine results with pilot injection which gave reductions of 5 to 8dB(A).
CitationRussell, M. and Haworth, R., "Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 850973, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850973.
- Austen A E W and Priede T “Origins of Diesel Engine Noise” Proc Symposium on Engine Noise and Noise Suppression pp 19-32 I. Mech. E London 25th October 1958.
- Russell M P “Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and its Control” S.A.E. Paper 730243 Soc. Auto. Engrs. Int. Congress Detroit Feb 1973 (also proc S.A.E.).
- Atkins K A and Challen B J “A Practical Approach to Truck Noise Reduction” (Appendix I) Inst Mech Engrs London Paper 131/79 1979.
- Russell M F and Cavanagh E J “Establishing a Target for Control of Diesel Combustion Noise” SAE Paper 790271 Proc. Diesel Engine Noise Conference (P80) held during Soc. Auto. Engrs. Congress Detroit Feb 1979.
- Hayes P A, Seybert A F, and Hamilton J F “A Coherence Model for Piston Impact Generated Noise” SAE Paper 790274 in P80 Soc. Auto. Engrs Congress Detroit Feb 1979.
- Russell M F “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE Paper 820238 Soc. Auto. Eng. Congress Feb 1982.
- Russell M F, Palmer D C and Young C D “Measurement of Diesel Noise at Source with a View to its Control” Proc I. Mech. E. Conference C142/84 “Vehicle Noise and Vibration” pp97-105.
- Russell M F “Reduction of Noise Emissions from Diesel Engine Surfaces” SAE paper 720135 Soc. Auto. Engrs. Congress Detroit Jan 1972.
- Herbert A J and Russell M F “Measurement of Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines” Mech Eng Tech (I Mech E) April 1982 pp34-39.
- Head H E and Wake J D “Noise of Diesel Engines under Transient Conditions” SAE Paper 800404 Soc. Auto. Engrs. Congress Detroit Feb 1980.
- Head H E and Wake J D “Noise made by Direct Injection Engines as they Accelerate” Proc (UK) Inst of Acoustics 1981 Meeting.
- Lyn W T “Calculations of the Effect of Rate of Heat Release on the Shape of Cylinder Pressure and Cycle Efficiency”. Proc Auto. Dir. I.Mech.E. 1960-61, No 1 pp34-62.
- Russell M F “Recent CAV Research into Noise Emissions and Fuel Economy of Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 770257 Soc. Auto Engrs. Int. Congress Detroit Feb 1977.