This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interdependence of Parameters important to the Design of Subsonic Canard-Configured Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An analysis is made of the interrelation-ship of the longitudinal parameters important to the aerodynamic design of an efficient canard or tandem wing configuration. It is shown that theoretical configuration span efficiencies substantially greater than one are feasible with the proper choice of parameters. This improvement can translate into significantly increased lift/drag ratios assuming fixed spans. The Prandtl-Munk relationship for induced drag is used as a convenient qualitative guide, with stability and trim criteria superimposed. An “aspect-ratio ratio” parameter is introduced to aid in optimizing a configuration longitudinally. It is shown that a canard/wing “aspect-ratio ratio” of approximately 3/2 to 2 is necessary to achieve peak span efficiency for a given span ratio and gap, assuming representative parameters. Large lifting tails are treated in the appendix; they are shown to be aerodynamically competitive with canards for the lower range of span ratios (<̄0.7-0.8).
CitationFeistel, T., "Interdependence of Parameters important to the Design of Subsonic Canard-Configured Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 850865, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850865.
- Oswald, B. W., “General Formulas and Charts for the Calculation of Airplane Performance,” NACA TR-408, 1932.
- Prandtl, L., “Induced Drag of Multiplanes,” NACA TN-182, Mar. 1924.
- Munk, Max M., “General Biplane Theory,” NACA TR-151, 1922.
- Feistel, T. W., Corsiglia, V. R., and Levin, D. B., “Wind Tunnel Measurements of Wing-Canard Interference and a Comparison with Various Theories,”SAE Paper 810575, Apr, 1981 (Published in 1981 SAE Transactions).
- Wolkovitch, J., “Subsonic V/STOL Aircraft Configurations with Tandem Wings,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 12, Aug. 1975.
- McGeer, T, and Kroo, I., “A Fundamental Comparison of Canard and Conventional Configurations,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 20, Nov. 1983.
- Phillips, J. D., “Downwash in the Plane of Symmetry of an Elliptically Loaded Wing,” NASA TP-2414, Jan. 1985.
- Yager, F. M., Holland, C. K. Jr., and Strand, T., “Modified Weissinger Lifting Surface Method for Calculating Aerodynamic Parameters of Arbitrary Wing-Canard Configurations,” Air Vehicle Corp., Report No. 354, Aug. 1967.
- Laitone, E. V., “Positive Tail Loads for Minimum Induced Drag of Subsonic Aircraft,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 15, Dec. 1978.
- Kroo, I., “Tail Sizing for Fuel Efficient Transports,” AIAA Paper 83-2476, Oct. 1983.