This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of 3 Pt. Belted Occupant Impact Dynamics in Frontal Collision and its Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 25, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
3-point belted occupant impact dynamics in frontal collision has been analyzed using finite element method (FEM) computer simulation models. The results from this simulation were compared with experimental results obtained from dummies on sleds or in small size car frontal crash tests. The correlation between the simulation and the experiments in terms of the head injury criterion (HIC), head acceleration, chest acceleration, and dummy motion and kinematics was relatively good. It was confirmed that dummy impact dynamics was influenced by the structure and the geometrical lay-out of the belt system, the seat belt webbing elongation rate, and the seat cushion hardness. The simulation method and dummy impact dynamics were also used, to a lesser extent, to analyze the performance of 2-point seat belt and air bag systems.
|Technical Paper||Optimizing Seat Belt and Airbag Designs for Rear Seat Occupant Protection in Frontal Crashes|
CitationIgarashi, M. and Atsumi, M., "An Analysis of 3 Pt. Belted Occupant Impact Dynamics in Frontal Collision and its Application," SAE Technical Paper 850436, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850436.
- Planning for Safety Priorities 1983 Safety Priorities Plan U. S. DOT, NHTSA
- Scott R. E. O'Day J. “I do not wear safety belt because..,” The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute September 1983
- Jernstrom C. “Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Dummy and Use of Simulation in the Design/Analysis Process,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 4 2 1983
- Huang M. “An Analysis of the Vehicle-Occupant Impact Dynamics and its Application,” SAE Paper No. 830977
- Launanen D. H. et al. “Crashworthiness Analysis of Aircraft Seats Using Program SOM-LA,” SAE Paper No. 830747
- Hensen S. E. et al. “Computer Modeling of Intrusion Effects on Occupant Dynamics in Very Severe Frontal Crashes,” SAE Paper No. 830613
- MARC User's Manual MARC Analysis Research Corporation
- MARC Background Paper IV V MARC Analysis Research Corporation
- Kurimoto K. et al. “On the Optimum Parameters of a Seat Belt Pre-loading Device,” Ninth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles NHTSA Kyoto, Japan Nov. 1982
- Leung Y. C. et al. “Submarining Injuries of 3 Pt. Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions-Description, Mechanism and Protection,” SAE Paper No. 821158
- Leung Y. C. et al. “An Anti-Submarining Scale Determined from Theoretical and Experimental Studies Using Three-Dimensional Geometrical Definition of the Lap-Belt,” SAE Paper No. 811020 Proceedings of 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Francisco Sept. 1981