This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Air-To-Air Charge Cooling to the Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combustion and air system development of the air-to-air charge cooled two-stroke cycle diesel engine for the heavy-duty truck market is described. The conceptual modifications to the actual turbocharged-charge cooled diesel cycle are defined and supported by analytical modeling results and engine dynamometer development test results. Actual engine and vehicle performance are provided to demonstrate the significant achievement in fuel efficiency made via the optimizing scheme employed.
CitationRicheson, D., Pearce, J., and Hinkle, S., "Application of Air-To-Air Charge Cooling to the Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 850317, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850317.
- Estimated average daily ambient temperature of 40 conterminous US cities, DDA Internal Document 1978, with the following documents referenced.
- A. The Weather Almanac, 1974, Ruttner and Bair, p. 189.
- B. 1976 World Almanac, p. 793.
- C. AR 70-38, RDT & E of Material for Extreme Climatic Conditions.
- Kern J., Wallner R., “The Selection and Evaluation of Charge Air Coolers for Vehicle Engines.” SAE 840350.
- Rass H.D., Henriksen C.O., Nemazi M., Hinkle S.J., “Selection of Charge Air Cooling System for Two-Stroke Cycle Engines.”
- Henriksen B.S., “Series 92 Fuel Economy Improvements.” SAE 841202.
- Toppel R., Bennethum J., Heruth R., “Development of Detroit Diesel Allison 6V-92TA Methanol Fueled Coach Engine,” SAE 831744.
- Taylor C.F., “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice,” Vol. I, 2nd Edition, The MIT Press, p. 219.
- Schmidt W., “Calculation of Air-Charging and Trapping Efficiencies of 71 and 92 Series Engines.” DDA Internal Document 1979.
- Schmidt W., Hinkle S., “Parametric Analysis of a Turbocharged Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine Air System.” ASME 73-DGP-5.
- Scullen R.S., Hames R.J., “Computer Simulation of the GM Unit Injector.” SAE 780161.
- Sung N.W., Paterson D.J., “Air Motion in a Two-Stroke Engine Cylinder - The Effects of Exhaust Geometry.” SAE 820751.