This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The New Isuzu 2.5 Liter and 2.8 Liter 4-Cylinder Direct injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Isuzu Motors Limited has recently-developed 2.5 liter and 2.8 liter diesel engines to power Isuzu “ELF” trucks (payload 1-2 tons). These two engines are high fuel economy direct injection diesels featuring a square cavity combustion chamber and Bosch VE distributor type injection pump. To reduce the D.I. diesel engine noises, the combustion chamber, fuel injection system, and cylinder block construction have been improved. In addition, a vibration damping sheet oil pan, timing belt drive, and cylinder block, cover are employed. The two diesel engines are small size, light weight, highly reliable engines to be successors to the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 liter Isuzu “C”-series diesel engines. To date, 2 million of these engines have been produced to power the Isuzu “ELF” trucks and other vehicles as well as a wide variety of industrial and marine applications.
The basic engine specification are; 4 cylinder, OHV, bore 93mm, stroke 92mm (2499CC), 102mm (2771CC), maximum power output (DIN) 50KW/3, 600rpm (2.5L) and 57KW/3, 600rpm (2.8L).
- Koichi Takeuchi - Light Duty Engine Engineering Dept. Isuzu Motors Ltd.
- Kimi Kubota - Light Duty Engine Engineering Dept. Isuzu Motors Ltd.
- Masao Konagai - Light Duty Engine Engineering Dept. Isuzu Motors Ltd.
- Mitsuo Watanabe - Industrial Engine Engineering Dept. Isuzu Motors Ltd.
- Ryoji Kihara - Car and Light Duty Vehicle Engineering Isuzu Motors Ltd.