This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Combustion Chamber Configuration on In-Cylinder Air Motion and Combustion Characteristics of D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new combustion system for a light duty D. I. diesel engine was developed and introduced (1)*. The combustion chamber, which was used in the combustion system, has 4 concaves on the periphery of the inner wall and was calld HMMS-III. This combustion chamber realized better fuel consumption and lower smoke level over a wide speed range. However, the effects of HMMS-III combustion chamber on in-cylinder air motion and combustion characteristics were not yet clarified in the previous paper.
In this study, in order to clarify the effects of HMMS-III combustion chamber on in-cylinder air motion and characteristics, analysis of flow direction and streak line via oil film method was carried out in comparison with flat dish and re-entrant type combustion chambers. Further, measurement of in-cylinder air motion by L.D.V. and observation of mixture formation and burning process via high speed schlieren photography were carried out.
From these investigations, a particular in-cylinder air motion depending on the configuration of HMMS-III combustion chamber was recognized and the contribution of HMMS-III combustion chamber to in-cylinder air motion and combustion characteristics was clarified.
CitationShimoda, M., Shigemori, M., and Tsuruoka, S., "Effect of Combustion Chamber Configuration on In-Cylinder Air Motion and Combustion Characteristics of D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 850070, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850070.
- Shigemori M. et al. “Development of Combustion System for a Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE 831296 1983
- Cickocki R. et al. “The Passenger Car Direct Injection Diesel-A Performance and Emission Update” SAE 810480 1981
- Neitz A. et al. “The Man Combustion System with Controlled Direct Injection for Passenger Car Diesel Engine” SAE 810479 1981
- ELSBETT L et al. “Elko's 1.4 Litter 3 cylinder direct injection diesel engine” Instn. Mech Engrs C116 82
- Suzuki T. et al. “A New Combustion System for the Diesel Engine and Its Analysis via High Speed Photography” SAE 770674 1977
- Shiozaki T. et al. “Observation of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine via High Speed Direct and Schlieren Photography” SAE 800025 1980
- Hamamoto Y. et al. “Visualization of Boundary Layer Flow on Piston Crown of Internal Combustion Engine” Four Symposium on Flow Visualization Institute of Space and Aeronautical Science, University of Tokyo 1976
- Ikegami J. et al. “A Numerical Simulation of In-Cylinder Fluid Motion” JSME Mo. 834-8 73 1983