This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laminar Burning Speed Measurements of Indolene-Air-Diluent Mixtures at High Pressures and Temperatures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1985 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The laminar burning speeds of two practical multi-component hydrocarbon fuels similar to automotive gasoline were measured using a spherical combustion bomb with central ignition. Mixtures with equivalence ratios between 0.7 and 1.6, and volume fractions of simulated residual gas between 0 and 0.3 were tested at pressures from 0.4 atm to 12 atm and unburned gas temperatures from 350 K to 550 K. The laminar burning speeds were fitted to a power function expression involving the unburned gas pressure and temperature, and the diluent fraction.
The pressure and temperature dependences of the laminar burning speed for undiluted mixtures agreed well with values reported by other investigators for various fuels, indicating that these dependences are independent of fuel type. The percentage reduction in laminar burning speed due to the addition of simulated residual gas was found to be a function only of the amount added, independent of the properties of the mixture.
CitationRhodes, D. and Keck, J., "Laminar Burning Speed Measurements of Indolene-Air-Diluent Mixtures at High Pressures and Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 850047, 1985, https://doi.org/10.4271/850047.
- Blizard N. S. Keck, J. C. “Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Turbulent Burning Model for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 740191 1974
- Tabaczynski, R. J. Trinker, F. H. Shannan, B. A. S. Combustion and Flame 39 111 1980
- Libby P. A. Bray, K. N. C. “Implications of the Laminar Flamelet Model in Premixed Turbulent Combustion” Combustion and Flame 39 33 41 1980
- Ferguson C. R. Keck, J. C. “On Laminar Flame Quenching and Its Application to Spark Ignition Engines” Combustion and Flame 28 197 205 1977
- Ferguson C. R. Keck, J. C. “Stand-Off Distances on a Flat Flame Burner” Combustion and Flame 34 85 98 1979
- Heimeri J. M. Coffee, T. P. “The Detailed Modeling of Premixed, Laminar Steady-State Flames. I. Ozone” Combustion and Flame 39 301 315 1980
- Smoot, L. D. Hecker, W. C. Williams, G. A. “Prediction of Propagating Methane-Air Flames” Combustion and Flame 26 323 342 1976
- Tsatsaronis, G. “Prediction of Propagating Laminar Flames in Methane, Oxygen, Nitrogen Mixtures” Combustion and Flame 33 217 239 1978
- Westbrook C. K. Dryer, F. L. “Prediction of Laminar Flame Properties of Methanol-Air Mixtures” Combustion and Flame 37 171 192 1980
- Metghalchi M. Keck, J. C. “Laminar Burning Velocity of Propane-Air Mixtures at High Temperature and Pressure” Combustion and Flame 38 143 154 1980
- Metghalchi M. Keck, J. C. “Burning Velocities of Mixtures of Air with Methanol, Isooctane, and Indolene at High Pressure and Temperature” Combustion and Flame 48 191 210 1982
- Ryan T. W. III Lestz S. S. “The Laminar Burning Velocity of Isooctane, N-Heptane, Methanol, Methane, and Propane at Elevated Temperature and Pressures in the Presence of a Diluent” SAE Paper 800103 1980
- Martin M. K. Heywood, J. C. “Approximate Relationships for the Thermodynamic Properties of Hydrocarbon-Air Combustion Products” Combustion Science and Technology 15 1 10 1977
- Keck, J. C. Letter in Mass and Heat Transfer 8 313 1981
- Sellnau, M. C. “Laminar Head-on Flame Quenching in a Spherical Combustion Bomb” S.M. Thesis M.I.T. Cambridge, MA 1981
- Joulin G. Mitani, T. “Linear Stability Analysis of Two-Reactant Flames” Combustion and Flame 40 235 246 1981
- Zeldovich, Ya. B. “Structure and Stability of Steady Laminar Flame at Moderately Large Reynolds Numbers” Combustion and Flame 40 225 234 1981
- Matkowski, B. J. Putnick, L. J. Sivashinski, G. I. “A Nonlinear Theory of Cellular Flames” SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics 38 3 489 504 1980
- Groff, E. G. “The Cellular Nature of Confined Spherical Propane-Air Flames” Research Publication, GMR-3522, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI, presented at 1981 Spring Technical Meeting Central Section of the Combustion Institute 1981
- Gussak, L. A. Istratov, A. G. Librovich, V. B. Spirintsina, E. N. “Development of Perturbations at the Surface of a Flame Propagating from a Central Point Ignition Source in a Closed Vessel” Combustion, Explosion, and Shock Waves 13 1 19 24 1977
- Mitani T. Williams, F. A. “Studies of Cellular Flames in Hydrogen-Oxygen-Nitrogen Mixtures” Combustion and Flame 39 169 190 1980