This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Head-Neck Response in Frontal Flexion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
At the 27th Stapp Conference an analysis was presented of human head-neck motion in lateral flexion (1)*. Based on this analysis performance requirements for mechanical necks in this type of impact were formulated.
This study extends the analysis to head-neck response in frontal flexion. Results will be presented of dynamical tests with human subjects conducted by the Naval Biodynamics Laboratory (NBDL) in New Orleans. Two of these subjects were also included in the analysis of lateral flexion. It will be shown that the mechanical (mathematical) system with two ball and socket joints describing the head-neck response in lateral flexion is also suitable for forward flexion. Geometrical parameters are identical for both impact directions in contrast to the dynamical properties which show significant differences.
By this mechanical analog the observed head-neck motions are completely defined. Results will be compared with earlier performance requirements proposed by Mertz et al. (2,3).
Evaluations of the Part 572 and Hybrid III head-neck systems show that both necks are stiffer than any of the volunteers in the impact ranges tested.
|Technical Paper||Combined Bending and Axial Loading Responses of the Human Cervical Spine|
|Technical Paper||Cervical Spine Compression Responses|
CitationWismans, J. and Spenny, C., "Head-Neck Response in Frontal Flexion," SAE Technical Paper 841666, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841666.
- Wismans J. Spenny C.H. 1983 “Performance requirements for mechanical necks in lateral flexion” Proceedings of the 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE, Paper No. 831613
- Mertz H.J. Patrick L.M. 1971 “Strength and Response of the Human Neck” Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 710856
- Mertz H.J. Neathery R.F. Culver C.C. 1973 “Performance Requirements and Characteristics of Mechanical Necks” Human Impact Response Plenum Press New York, London 247 261
- Melvin J.W. Mc Elhaney J.H. Roberts V.L. 1973 “Evaluation of Dummy Neck Performance” Human Impact Response Plenum Press New York, London 247 261
- Muzzy W.H. III Lustick L. 1976 “Comparison of Kinematic Parameters Between Hybrid II Head and Neck System with Human Volunteers for - Gx Acceleration Profiles” Proceedings of the 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 760801
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. 1973 “Human Head and Neck Response to Impact Acceleration” NAMRL Monograph 21 Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Pensacola, Florida, 32512
- Becker E.B. 1975 “A Photographic Data System for Determination of Three-dimensional Effects of Multiaxis Impact Acceleration on Living Humans” Proc. Soc, of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers 57 SPIE Box 1146, Palos Verdas Estates, CA 90274
- Becker E. Williams G. 1975 “An experimentally Validated Three-dimensional Inertial Tracking Package for Application in Biodynamics Research” Proceedings of the 19th Stapp Car Crash conference SAE Paper No. 751173
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. Lustick L. Williams G.G. Muzzy W.H. III Becker E.B. Jessop M.E. 1978 “Dynamic Response of Human and Primate Head and Neck to + Gy Impact Acceleration” Report DOT HS-803 058
- Becker E. 1977 “Stereoradiographic Measurements for Anatomical Mounted Instruments” Proceedings of the 21st Stapp Conference
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. Lustick L. 1978 “Multiaxis dynamic response of the human head and neck to impact acceleration” Aerospace Medical Panel's Specialist's meeting Paris AGARD Conference Proceedings no 253 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. Lustick L. Becker E. Willems G. Muzzy W.H. III 1975 “The effect of the Initial Position of the Head and Neck on the Dynamic Response of the Human Head and Neck to - Gx impact acceleration” Proceedings of the 19th Stapp Conference
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. 1973 “Torque versus Angular Displacement Response of Human Head to - Gx Impact Acceleration” Proceedings of the 17th Stapp Conference
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. Lustick L. Muzzy W.H. III Willems C. Majewski P.L. 1976 “The Effect of Duration, Rate of Onset and Peak Sled Acceleration on the Dynamic Response of the Human Head and Neck” Proceedings of the 20th Stapp Conference SAE-paper 760800 .
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. Majewski P.L. Black R. Lustick L 1977 “Measurement of head, T1 and Pelvic Response to - Gx Impact Acceleration” Proceedings of the 21th Stapp Conference
- Woltring H.J. Wismans J. 1984 “Parameter estimation for single- and dual-pivot, kinematical neck models in crash injury research” fourth meeting of the European Society of Biomechanics Davos, Switzerland
- Woltring H.J. 1984 “Parameter estimation for single- and dual-pivot kinematical neck models in crash injury research” Report prepared for the Ohio State University Research Foundation under contract no. RF OSU-82-0043-01
- “Preliminary Development Head/Neck Simulator” Analysis of Human Volunteer tests. Final report Phase I Project SRL-59 Vehicle Research and Test Center East-Liberty, Ohio 1984
- “Analysis of Head/Neck Response of Human Volunteers” NHTSA report US DOT Transportation Systems Center Cambridge, M.A.
- Wismans J. Maltha J. Wijk J.J. van Janssen E.G. 1982 “MADYMO- A Crash Victim Simulation Program for Biomechanical Research and Optimization of Designs for Impact Injury Prevention” Proceedings of the AGARD-meeting April 1982 Cologne, Germany
- Spenny C.H. Wismans J. 1983 “Kinematic and dynamic analysis of head-neck motion” Proceedings of the Symposium of Mechanisms of Head and Spine Trauma 13th Annual Meeting of Neuroelectric Society Marco Beach, Florida
- “Preliminary Development Head/Neck Simulator” Mathematical Simulations. Final report Phase I Project SRL-59 Vehicle Research and Test Center East-Liberty, Ohio 1984
- “New Car Assessment Test Procedure Analysis” Draft Report Phase II, Project SRL-82, Neck repeatability testing Vehicle Research and Test Center East Liberty, Ohio