This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Impact Loading of the Femur Under Passive Restrained Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The biodynamic response of the femur during passively restrained -Gx impact acceleration is reported in this paper. Eleven unembalmed cadavers, ranging in age from 21 to 65 and weighing from 50 to 96 kg, were tested in a VW Rabbit seat with a passive belt and knee restraint. Sectioned parts of the VW knee bolster were placed about 130 mm away from the patella at the initiation of the tests. The height of the knee bolsters was adjusted individually in the eleven tests. Ten were set for loading directly through the patella. In one run, the impact was below the knee joint. The sectioned bolsters were mounted on a rigid frame and instrumented with triaxial load cells. A six-axis load cell was installed in the right femur. Photo targets were attached directly to the femur and tibia.
Sled runs were made at 22 and 35 g. Only one cadaver sustained bilateral femoral fractures at 35 g. Bolster loads were twice as high as those reported previously and femoral loads averaged 65% of the measured bolster load. There was only one case of avulsion of the posterior cruciate ligament for impact knee angles ranging from 83 to 119 deg. The shape of the bolster prevented initial tibial contact and lessened the risk to this ligament. Bending moments along the femoral shaft were found to be high. They should be considered in any new injury criteria for the femur.
|Technical Paper||Investigating the Effects of Anchor Pretensioners, Knee Bolster Airbags and Seat Belt Changes In an IRL Tub|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Sign Convention for Vehicle Crash Testing|
CitationCheng, R., Yang, K., Levine, R., and King, A., "Dynamic Impact Loading of the Femur Under Passive Restrained Condition," SAE Technical Paper 841661, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841661.
- Patrick L.M. Kroell C.K. Mertz H.J. Jr. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes.” Proc. of the 9th Stapp Car Crash Conference University of Minnesota 237 259 1966
- Patrick L.M. Mertz H.J. Jr. Kroell C.K. “Cadaver Knee, Chest and Head Impact Loads.” Proc. of the 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 670913 ) 106 117 1967
- Powell W.R. Advani S.H. Clark R.N. Ojala S.J. Holt D.J. “Investigation of Femur Response to Longitudinal Impact.” Proc. of the 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 741190 539 556 1974
- Powell W.R. Ojala S.J. Advani S.H. Martin R.B. “Cadaver Femur Responses to Longitudinal Impacts.” Proc of the 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 751160 561 579 1975
- Melvin J.W. Stalnaker R.L. Alem N.M. Benson J.B. Mohan D. “Impact Response and Tolerance of the Lower Extremities.” Proc. of the 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 751159 543 559 1975
- Melvin J.W. Stalnaker R.L. Tolerance and Response of the Knee-Femur-Pelvis Complex to Axial Impact Final Report No. UM-HSRI-76-33 Ann Arbor The University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute 1976
- Melvin J.W. Nusholtz G.S. Tolerance and Response of the Knee-Femur-Pelvis Complex to Axial Impacts--Impact Sled Tests Final Report No. UM-HSRI-80-27 Ann Arbor The University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute 1980
- Melvin J.W. Fuller P.M. Daniel R.P. Pavliscak G.M. Human Head and Knee Tolerance to Localized Impacts SAE Paper No. 690477 1969
- Viano D.C. Culver C.C. Haut R.C. Melvin J.W. Bender M. Culver R.H. Levine R.S. “Bolster Impacts to the Knee and Tibia of Human Cadavers and an Anthropomorphic Dummy.” Proc. of the 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 780896 401 428 1978
- Viano D.C. Culver C.C. “Performance of a Shoulder Belt and Knee Restraint in Barrier Crash Cimulations.” Proc. of the 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 791006 105 131 1979
- Cheng R. Denton R.A. King A.I. “Femoral Loads Measured by a Six-Axis Load Cell.” Proc. of the 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 791012 261 287 1979
- Cheng R. Yang K.H. Levine R.S. King A.I. Morgan R. “Injuries to the Cervical Spine Caused by a Distributed Frontal Load to the Chest.” Proc. of the 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 821155 1 40 1982
- Lewis J.L. Lew W.D. Schmidt J. “A Note on the Application and Evaluation of the Buckle Transducer for Knee Ligament Force Measurement.” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 104 125 128 1982
- Viano D.C. Stalnaker R.L. “Mechanisms of Femoral Fracture.” Journal of Biomechanics 13 8 701 715 1980