This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Biomechanical Analysis of Head, Neck, and Torso Injuries to Child Surrogates Due to Sudden Torso Acceleration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on the injuries to the head, neck and thorax of fifteen child surrogates, subjected to varying levels of sudden acceleration. Measured response data in the child surrogate tests and in matched tests with a three-year-old child test dummy are compared to the observed child surrogates injury levels to develop preliminary tolerance data for the child surrogate. The data are compared with already published data in the literature.
CitationPrasad, P. and Daniel, R., "A Biomechanical Analysis of Head, Neck, and Torso Injuries to Child Surrogates Due to Sudden Torso Acceleration," SAE Technical Paper 841656, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841656.
- Aldman B., Anderson A., Saxmark O., “Possible Effects of Air Bag Inflation on a Standing Child,” Proceedings of the 1980 IRCOBI Conference.
- Mertz H. J., Driscoll G. D., Lenox J. B., Nyquist G. W., Weber D. A., “Responses of Animals Exposed to Deployment of Various Passenger Inflatable Restraint System Concepts for a Variety of Collision Severities and Animal Positions,” Proceedings of the 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 1983.
- States John D. and Committee on Injury Scaling, “The Abbreviated Injury Scale, 1960 Revision,” American Association for Automotive Medicine, Morton Grove, Ill. 60053.
- Eppinger R. H., Morgan R. M., Marcus J. H., “Side Impact Data Analysis,” Proceedings of the 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, 1982, pg 246.
- Francis Carl O., “Introduction to Human Anatomy,” C. V. Mosby Press, St. Louis, pg 232.
- Sturtz G., “Biomechanical Data of Children,” Proceedings of 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1980.
- Ommaya A. K., “Head Injury Mechanisms, Final Report,” DOT-HS-800-859, 1973.
- Hodgson V. R. and Thomas L. M., “Acceleration Induced Shear Strain in a Monkey Brain Hemisection,” Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1979.
- Roberts V. L., Hodgson V. R. and Thomas L. M., “Fluid Pressure Gradients Caused by Impact to the Human Skull,” ASME, 66-HUF-l.
- Wolanin M. J., Mertz H. J., Nyznyk R. S., Vincent J. H., “Description and Basis of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy for Evaluating Passenger Inflatable Restraint Concepts,” Proceedings of the 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 1982.
- Ommaya A. K., “Biomechanics of Head Injuries: Experimental Aspects,” Biomechanics of Trauma, Appleton-Centruy-Crofts, Publishers
- Unterharnscheidt F., “Neuropathology of Rhesus Monkeys Undergoing -Gx Impact Acceleration,” Impact Injury to the Human Head, C. C. Thomas, Publisher, 1983.
- King A. I., Nakhla S. S. and Mital N. K., “Simulation of Head and Neck Response to -Gx and -Gz Impacts,” AGARD Conference Proceedings No. 253, Paper No. A7, 1978.
- Prasad P. and King A. I., “An Experimentally Validated Dynamic Model of the Spine,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 41: 546-550, 1974.
- Friede R. L., “Specific Cord Damage at the Atlas Level as a Pathogenic Mechanism in Cerebral Concussion,” Journal of Neuropathol Experimental Neurol, 19266, 1960.
- Friede R. L., “Experimental Acceleration Concussion, Pathology and Mechanics,” Arch Neurol, 4: 449, 1961.
- Friede R. L., “The Pathology and Mechanics of Experimental Cerebral Concussion,” Wright Air Development Division Report 61-256, 1961.
- Lenox J. B., Stalnaker R. L., White C. D., Moore G. T., Anderson O. M., Schleicher R. R., Peel H. H., Martin S. S., Driscoll G. D., Huntington H. W., Carey K. D., Hafner M. P., Ommaya A. X., “Development of Neck Injury Tolerance Criteria in Human Surrogates. 1: Static Tensile Loading in the Baboon Neck: Preliminary Observations,” Proceedings of the Ninth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, 1982.
- Sances A., Weber R., Myklebust J., Cusick J., Larson S., Walsh P., Christoffel T., Houterman C., Ewing C., Thomas D., Saltzberg B., “The Evoked Potential: An Experimental Method for Biomechanical Analysis of Brain and Spinal Injury,” Proceedings of 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1980.
- Patrick L. M., Lissner H. R. and Gurdjian E. S., “Survivial by Design-Head Protection,” Proceedings of 7th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1963.
- Belytschko T., Schwer L., Schultz A., “A Model for Analytic Investigation of Three-Dimensional Head-Spine Dynamics,” AMRL-TR-76-10 for Aerospace Medical Research Lab, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, 4-19-76.
- Mertz H. J. and Weber D. A., “Interpretations of the Impact Responses of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy Relative to Child Injury Potential,” Proceedings of the 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicle, Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 1982.
- Viano, and Artinian C. G., “Myocardial Conducting System Dysfunction,” Journal of Trauma, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1978.
- Pope M. E., Kroell C. K., Viano D. C., Warner C. Y., Allen S. D., “Postural Influences on Thoracic Impact,” Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1979.