This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Pelvis Design for the European Side Impact Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the phase IV of the EEC biomechanical programme, the available side impact dummies were evaluated and this work concluded that none of the dummy was acceptable. The European Experimental Vehicle Committee set up a working group to built a new side impact dummy to be used in a standard side impact test. The ONSER laboratory was in charge of the development of the pelvis. This paper includes the specifications for the pelvis, agreed by the EEVC working group dealing with this subject, anthropometric analysis to choose sizes and mass distribution a description of the shape of the pelvic bone and the location and the type of transducer (force, acceleration). The design of the hip joint and the use of deformable materials to simulate the pelvic bone deformations are discussed. Results of impactor tests using a dummy fitted with this pelvis are analyzed and their results compared to those of cadavers tests conducted previously. The results of these first tests seem promising and have be completed especially to validate the repeatability and the durability.
CitationCesari, D., Bouquet, R., and Zac, R., "A New Pelvis Design for the European Side Impact Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 841650, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841650.
- EEVC WG 6 Structures Improved side impact protection in Europe. 9 th ESV conf. Kyoto 1982
- Biomechanics of impacts in road accidents Proceeding of the seminar held in Brussel 21-23 March 1983 Report EUR 8938 EN
- MELVIN J.W. D.H. ROBBINS J.B. BENSON Experimental application of advanced thoracic instrumentation techniques to anthropomorphic test devices 7th ESV conf. Paris 1979
- HUE B Summary of the technical evolution of the APROD Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics Peugeot S.A./Renault ISO document TC 22/SC 12/WG 5 N77
- STANDIGER R. NADA M. HASLEGRAVE C.M. Development of side impact dummy Final report EEC phase III, Project UK2, MIRA October 1981
- COTTE J.P. Improvement of side impact dummy design and construction of the ONSER 50 side impact dummy Final report, ONSER/EEC contract phase III, Project F4 October 1981
- NEILSON I.D. LOWNE R.W. Some design requirements for side impact dummies intented for legislative testing and research TRRL on behalf of EEVC ad hoc committee on “Side Impact dummies”
- REYNOLDS H.M. SNOW C.C. YOUNG J.W. Spatial geometry of the human pelvis Memorandum report no AAC-119-81-5
- Investigation of pelvis characteristics for side impact dummies. Part 1: Mass distribution of pelvis segment Project report, MIRA report no K 485690/1
- CESARI D. M. RAMET R. BOUQUET ZAC Etude sur les mannequins. Amélioration du mannequin anthropomorphe “ONSER 50” Rapport intérimaire, phase 2, Convention d'étude, Aide à la Recherche/ONSER 1983 Janvier 1984
- Mc.CONVILLE John T. CHURCHILL Thomas D. KALEPS I. CLAUSER Charles E. CUZZI J. Anthropometric relationship of body and body segment moments of inertia Aerospace Medical - Research Laboratory Décember 1980 AFAMRL-TR-80-119
- ROBBINS D.H. SCHNEIDER L.W. SNYDER R.G. PFLUG M. HAFFNER M. Seated Posture of vehicle occupants 27th Stapp, SAE 831617
- CESARI D. RAMET M. CLAIR P.Y. Pelvis and femur human tolerance in side impact EEC Biomechanical Research Programme, project B2F3, phase 3, final report June 1980
- TARRIERE C WASFISCH G. FAYON A. ROSEY J.P. GOT C PATEL A. DELMAS A Synthesis of human tolerances obtained from lateral impact simulations 7th ESV conf. June 1979
- CESARI D. BOUQUET R. RAMET M. ZAC R. CAIRE Y Comparative testing of side impact dummies EEC/ONSER contract, project F 12, phase 4, final report Sept. 1982