This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Experimental Evaluation of Propfan Inlets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A cooperative research program has provided the first high-speed wind-tunnel data on propfan inlets. In the initial phase of the program, two single-scoop or chin inlet configurations--one without a boundary layer diverter and the other with a diverter--were designed and tested with a 2-foot-diameter SR-3 propfan. The models were extensively instrumented and wind-tunnel tested at Mach numbers up to 0.80.
Results from the tests showed, as expected, considerably better inlet pressure recoveries for the configuration with the boundary layer diverter. The overall recovery level for both inlets was significantly higher, however, than previous analyses had indicated. Although instrumentation difficulties compromised the measurements, inlet-induced blade cyclic stresses appeared higher than anticipated. Both inlet models showed good agreement with predicted cowl surface pressure distributions, thus validating the design methods.
CitationHinson, B., "Design and Experimental Evaluation of Propfan Inlets," SAE Technical Paper 841477, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841477.
- Little B. H. Jr. Hinson B. L. “Inlet Design for High Speed Propfans,” SAE Paper 821359 October 1982
- Final Report for NASA Contract NAS3-22751 “Aerodynamic and Mechanical Design of Advanced Turboprop Core Inlets for the NASA-Lewis PTR,” Lockheed-Georgia Company March 20 1983
- Tanner D. D. Wynosky T. W. “Engine Inlet Interaction With a Prop-Fan Propulsion System,” SAE Paper 841478 October 1984
- Rohrbach C. Metzger F. B. Black D. M. Ladden R. M. “Evaluation of Wind Tunnel Performance Testings of an Advanced 45° Swept Eight-Bladed Propeller at Mach Numbers from 0.45 to 0.85,” NASA CR 3505 1982
- Jameson A. “Transonic Flow Analysis for Axially Symmetric Inlets with Centerbodies,” Antony Jameson and Assoc., Inc. Report 2 1981
- Coopersmith R. M. Youngren H. H. Bouchard E. E. “Quadrilateral Element Panel Method--User's Manual Version 2.00,” Lockheed-California Company Report LR 29671 1981
- Black D. M. Menthe R. W. Wainauski H. S. “Aerodynamic Design and Performance Testing of an Advanced 30° Swept, Eight Bladed Propeller at Mach Numbers from 0.2 to 0.85,” NASA CR-3047 1978
- Aljabri A. S. “Prediction of Propeller Slipstream Characteristics,” Lockheed-Georgia Report LG79ER0120 October 1979