This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Analytical and statistical Evaluation of Infrared Spectroscopic Data from Used Diesel Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Infrared spectroscopy is one of the most important analytical tools for the study of lubricant degradation and for condition monitoring of oils during service. The application of computer post processing to an infrared spectrum provides a means for the extraction of oil degradation data from a used diesel oil sample without need for the separation of soot and other dispersed insoluble material. Data acquired by this type of approach are representative of the actual condition of the lubricant and they provide a basis for monitoring oil degradation insitu. This paper will discuss physical and chemical characteristics pertinent to the performance and condition of used diesel oils that are reflected in the infrared spectrum. It will also provide a summary of the results from a statistical study of infrared data accumulated from oils taken from five different types of diesel engine in current service with military equipment.
CitationCoates, J., Setti, L., and McCaa, B., "The Analytical and statistical Evaluation of Infrared Spectroscopic Data from Used Diesel Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 841373, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841373.
- Coates J.P. Setti L.C. “Condition Monitoring of Crankcase Oils Using Computer Aided Infrared Spectroscopy” SAE Paper No. 831681 , SP-558 October 1983 37 50
- McGeehan J.A. Fontana B.J. “Effect of Soot on Piston Deposits and Crankcase Oils - Infrared Spectrometric Technique for Analyzing Soot” SAE Paper No. 801368 SP-473 October 1980 47 62
- Yasutomi S. Maeda Y. Maeda T. Ind. Eng.Chem.Prod.Res.Dev. 20 1981 540 544
- Sarkis A.B. Schnack D.D. “Optimum Gas-Engine and Lubricating Oil Performance Through Modern Analytical Techniques” ASME Paper No. 64-0GP-16 April 1968 1 17
- Lawrence B.J. Wooton D.L. Damrath J.G. Procedings of the 1983 Fuels and Lubrication Meeting National Petroleum Refiners Association Houston, TX. Paper FL 83-88 November 1983
- Uchibori K. Hikosaka S. “Some Field Data and Future Trends in Diesel Passenger Car Engine Oils in Japan” SAE Paper No. 801367 , SP-473 October 1980 35 45
- Coates J.P. Setti L.C. “Infrared Spectroscopy as a Tool for Monitoring Oil Degradation”