This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three-Dimensional Flow Field in Four-Stroke Model Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 1, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ensemble-averaged and in-cycle axial and swirl velocities have been measured by laser Doppler anemometry in the three-dimensional flow field of a four-stroke model engine motored at 200 rpm with a compression ratio of 6.7 and various cylinder head and piston geometries. The inlet configurations comprised an axisymmetric port with a shrouded valve and an off-centre port with two valve and swirl generating vane geometries. The piston configurations comprised flat, cylindrical and re-entrant axisymmetric piston-bowls. The results indicate that with the off-centre port a complex vortical flow pattern is generated during induction, which later either collapses in the absence of induction swirl or is transformed into a single rotating vortex in the transverse plane when swirl is present. The axisymmetric port with the shrouded valve gives rise to a double vortex structure and higher turbulence levels at TDC of compression compared to the off-centre port. The in-cycle swirl velocities indicate that the swirl centre oscillates during the compression stroke in phase, on the average, with the piston motion with associated turbulent fluctuations of smaller magnitude than the cycle-to-cycle velocity variations.
- C. Arcoumanis - Imperial College of Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Fluids Section, London, England
- A. F. Bicen - Imperial College of Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Fluids Section, London, England
- C. Vafidis - Imperial College of Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Fluids Section, London, England
- J. H. Whitelaw - Imperial College of Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Fluids Section, London, England
CitationArcoumanis, C., Bicen, A., Vafidis, C., and Whitelaw, J., "Three-Dimensional Flow Field in Four-Stroke Model Engines," SAE Technical Paper 841360, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841360.
- Arcoumanis C., Bicen A.F., Vlachos N.S. and Whitelaw J.H. “Effects of flow and geometry boundary conditions on fluid motion in a motored I.C. engine” Proc. I. Mech. E., 196, 4, 1982.
- Morse A.P., Whitelaw J.H. and Yianneskis M. “The flow characteristics of a piston-cylinder assembly with an off-centre open port” Proc. I. Mech. E., 194, 31, 1980.
- Arcoumanis C., Bicen A.F. and Whitelaw J.H. “Effects of inlet parameters on the flow characteristics in a four-stroke model engine”, SAE Paper 820750, 1982.
- Vafidis C. “Influence of induction swirl and piston configuration on air flow in a four-stroke model engine” Proc. I. Mech. E., 198C, 8, 1984.
- Arcoumanis C., Green H.G. and Whitelaw J.H., “The application of laser Rayleigh scattering to a reciprocating model engine”, SAE Paper 840376, 1984.
- Gosman A.D., Tsui Y.Y. and Watkins A.P., “Calculation of three-dimensional air motion in model engines”, SAE Paper 840229, 1984.
- Bicen A.F. “Refraction correction for LDA measurements in flows with curved optical boundaries”, TSI Quarterly, 8, 2, 1982.
- Arcoumanis C., Bicen A.F. and Whitelaw J.H. “Squish and swirl-squish interaction in motored model engines” J. Fluids Engng., 105,105, 1983.
- Willis D.A., Meyer W.E. and Birnie C. Jnr. “Mapping of airflow patterns in engines with induction swirl”, SAE Paper 660093, 1966.
- Witze P.O. “Influence of air motion variation on the performance of a direct-injection stratified-charge engine” International Conference on Stratified Charge Automotive Engines, I. Mech. E., Paper C394/80, 1980.
- Rask R.B. “Velocity measurements inside the cylinder of a motored internal combustion engine” Third International Workshop on Laser Velocimetry, Purdue University, 1978.
- Johnston S.C., Robinson C.W., Rorke W.S., Smith J.R. and White P.O. “Application of laser diagnostics to an injected engine”, SAE Paper 790092, 1979.
- Liou T.M. and Santavicca D.A. “Cycle resolved turbulence measurements in a ported engine with and without swirl”, SAE Paper 830419, 1983.
- Ball W.F., Pettifer H.F. and Waterhouse C.N.F. “Laser Doppler velocimeter measurements of turbulence in a direct-injection diesel combustion engine”, International Conference on Combustion in Engineering, I. Mech. E., Paper C67/83, 1983.
- Witze P.O., Martin J.K. and Borgnakke C. “Conditionally-sampled velocity and turbulence measurements in a spark ignition engine”, Comb. Sci. Tech., 36, 301, 1984.