This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Engine Oils Meeting North American, European and Japanese Performance Standards
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of engine oil specifications in North America, Europe and Japan has resulted in a proliferation of performance tests of increasing complexity and cost. At the same time, the transportation industry is becoming more international with vehicle populations of mixed national origin the rule, rather than the exception. In this context, regional specification writing bodies are making efforts to rationalize their own specifications and to enter into dialogue with each other. Central to any attempt at rationalization, regionally or internationally, is the availability of high-quality reference oils. Data on two formulations (a passenger car motor oil and a heavy-duty engine oil) which have met major requirements of North American, European and Japanese engine builders are presented.
CitationSmith, D. and Sutherland, J., "Development of Engine Oils Meeting North American, European and Japanese Performance Standards," SAE Technical Paper 841353, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841353.
- Asseff P. A., Brown D. C., Masuda Y., and Smith D. M., “Reconciliation of Engine Oil Performance Characteristics Around the World,” SAE Paper 830936.
- Gergel W. C., “Anti-Wear Protection for Valve Train Components,” presented at the SME Clinic, St. Louis, Missouri, February 1 - 3, 1977.
- Eyre T. S. and Crawley B., Tribology International, 1980, August, 147-152.
- Nersasian A., “The Effect of Lubricating Oil Additives on the Properties of Fluorohydrocarbon Elastomers,” presented at ASLE meeting, St. Louis, Missouri, April 30 - May 3, 1979.
- Andrews C. A. and Ranstl H. P. “Relationship of Detergent Alkalinity to Diesel Engine Performance,” presented at “The Bulgarian Fifth National Scientific and Technical Conference,” Pleven, Bulgaria, September 14 - 15, 1984.
- Palmer J. L. and Andrews J. E., “Current Developments in Testing of Diesel Engine Lubricants,” presented at The Fourth International Seminar, “Developments in Fuels, Lubricants, Additives and Energy Conservation,” Cairo, Egypt, March 7 - 10, 1983.
- Uchibori K. and Hikosaka S., “Some Field Data and Future Trends in Diesel Passenger Car Engine Oils in Japan,” SAE Paper 801367.