This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Canadian General Standards Board (CGBS) Cetane Index
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Early in 1980 a task force was formed under the auspices of the Canadian General Standards Board to develop a cetane index which predicts the cetane number of diesel fuels produced from synthetic crudes as equally well as fuels from conventional petroleum crudes. Using a series of diesel fuels, with cetane numbers in the range 28 to 63, an index using the fuel properties, aniline point, distillation range, density and viscosity was developed. This index is shown to be superior to other indices currently in use, particularly for synthetic and part synthetic fuels. The index is currently in use by a number of Canadian refiners and is expected very shortly to receive full Petroleum Committee approval as a CGSB Test Method.
CitationSteere, D., "Development of the Canadian General Standards Board (CGBS) Cetane Index," SAE Technical Paper 841344, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841344.
- Olson D.R., Meckel N.T. and Quillian R.D., “The Operation of Compression-Ignition Engines on Wide Boiling Range Fuels”, SAE Progress in Technology II, 56-99 1967.
- Gross G.P. and Murphy K.E. Jr., “The Effects of Diesel Fuel Properties on Performance Smoke and Emissions”, ASME, Nov.6, 1978.
- Wills F.J. and Schleyerbach C.G., “Diesel Fuel Properties and Engine Performance”, SAE 770316, Feb.28, 1977.
- Coordinating Research Council “Significance of the Cetane Number of Diesel Fuels”, CRC Project No. CFD-26-47, May 23, 1955.
- Steere D.R. and Nunn T.J., “Diesel Fuel Quality Trends in Canada”, SAE 790922, October 1, 1979.
- Collins J.M. and Unzelman G.H., “Diesel Trends Emphasize Cetane Economics Quality and Prediction”, API 47th Mid-year Refining Meeting, May 11, 1982.
- Murphy M.J., “An Improved Cetane Number Predictor for Alternative Fuels”, SAE 831746, October 31, 1983.
- Thomson W.R., “Prediction of ignition quality of middle distillate fuels”, Petroleum Review, May 1983, 37.