This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer-Aided Analysis of a Steering Column Using Cardan Universal Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The methodology has been developed to analyze the forces and stresses in a steering column with any arbitrary Cardan univeral joint system. Various forces and moments in a two Cardan joint system supported by two anti-friction radial bearings on both the input and output shaft have been determined as a function of shaft rotational angle. It is assumed that the torque and axial force in the input shaft are given. With this assumption, 30 unknowns are solved from 30 simultaneous force and moment equilibrium equations for the three shafts and two crosses. This general analysis will determine bearing loadings, torque variations within the system, and allow calculation of stress fields within critical components. A more efficient design for the system can be realized with the results of such an analysis.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Automotive Lubricating Greases|
|Technical Paper||Development of an Engine Mount Optimization Method Using Modal Parameters|
|Technical Paper||Better Needle Bearings for Universal Joints|
CitationCowles, J. and Chiu, Y., "Computer-Aided Analysis of a Steering Column Using Cardan Universal Joints," SAE Technical Paper 841204, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841204.
- DiFrancesco L. J. “Better Needle Bearings for Universal Joints,” SAE Paper No. 660159 1966
- Universal Joint and Driveshaft Design Manual 7 1979
- Sutherland G. H. “Some Kinematic and Static Force Aspects of Universal Joint Couplings,” Proceedings of the Applied Mechanics Conference Oklahoma State University Nov. 1977
- DeSalvo G. J. Swanson J. A. ANSYS Engineering Analysis System User Manuals Swanson Analysis Systems, Inc. Houston, Pennsylvania March 1983
- Cook R. D. “Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis,” Wiley & Sons New York 1981
- Osgood C. C. “Fatigue Design,” Wiley Interscience New York, NY 1970