This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rating and Life Formulas for Tapered Roller Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the fall of 1982, the author's company announced a revised dynamic load rating for its tapered roller bearings. Enhanced bearing steel quality brought about by improved steel making processes precipitated the revision in ratings. The paper presents the new rating formula for the basic dynamic load ratings of Timken tapered roller bearings. It provides the theoretical model of the rating equation with a summary of laboratory life test results that supplied the data to evaluate constants which correlate experiment with the model. It includes equations for equivalent loads, life calculations, and the rating reference conditions, plus discussions of life adjustment factors to guide the designer in applying the ratings in the analysis of bearing applications.
|Technical Paper||Life Improvement of Ball Bearings for Motorcycles|
|Technical Paper||Wheel Joint Analytical System Approach to Evaluate Brake Rotor Mounted LRO Sensitivity Effects|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Bearings, Leaded Bronze, 71.5Cu - 25Pb - 3.0Sn, Steel Back|
CitationDominik, W., "Rating and Life Formulas for Tapered Roller Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 841121, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/841121.
- Zantopulos H. “The Effect of Misalignment of the Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings.” Journal of Lubrication Technology, Trans. ASME, Series F 94 2 April 1972 181 187
- Danner C. H. “Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings Under Minimal Lubricant Films.” Trans. ASLE 13 1970 241
- Widner R. L. Dominik W. K. Jenkins A. J. “High Performance Bearings” Trans. SAE 87 1979 2974 2986
- Widner R. L. “An Initial Appraisal of the Contact Fatigue Strength of Electron Beam Melted Bearing Steel.” Journal of Lubrication Technology ASME
- Stover J. D. Widner R. L. “New Technology Yields Longer Life for Bearings.” Machine Design Nov. 25 1982
- Moyer C. A. McKelvey R. E. “A Rating Formula for Tapered Roller Bearings.” SAE Preprint 569B Sept. 1962
- Clinedinst W. O. “Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings” Journal of Applied Mechanics 4 4 Dec. 1937
- Lundberg G. Palmgren A. “Dynamic Capacity of Roller Bearing” Acta Polytechnica 96, Mech. Eng. Series 2 4 1952
- Lundberg G. Palmgren A. “Dynamic Capacity of Roller Bearings” Acta Polytechnica 7, Mech. Eng. Series 1 3 1947
- American National Standard ANSI/AFBMA Standard 11-1978 Load Ratings and Fatigue Life for Roller Bearings Nov. 21 1978
- International Standard ISO 281/1 Roller Bearings - Dynamic Load Ratings and Rating Life - Part 1: Calculation Methods First 1977 03 15
- The Timken Company Bearing Selection Handbook Dec. 1983