This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development and Application of Side Impact Component Test Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of reliable and repeatable test equipment to be used for the evaluation of a vehicle's side impact performance involves a thorough consideration of a variety of accident conditions and performance factors. Reconstruction and analysis of both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-fixed object accident configurations have provided a basis for the design of component test procedures. Specific test hardware for body interiors and components has been developed and is described. Where applicable, test equipment design and performance criteria are based on available biomechanical information.
CitationGriswold, C., "The Development and Application of Side Impact Component Test Methods," SAE Technical Paper 840887, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840887.
- Mehta R. Pearson J. C. Wilson R. A. General Motors Corporation Eighth ESV Conference Wolfsburg, German October 1980 “Side Impact Insights from General Motors Field Accident Base”
- Morita S. Matsushita K. Yaraaguchi M. Sobayima K. Nissan Motor Company Ninth ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan November 1982 “A Study on the Methodology to Evaluate Lateral Impact and Occupant Protection Measures”
- Griswold C. J. General Motors Corporation Ninth ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan November 1982 “Side Impact Component Test Development”
- Griswold C. J. Juechter T. J. Mehta R. Wolanin M. General Motors Corporation ISO Meeting Williamsburg, VA October 1981 “Side Impact Subsystem Test Development” NHTSA Docket 79-04, Notice 1, USG 2092, Part III
- McLaughlin T. F. NHTSA Wasko R. J. MVMA February 1983 Detroit, MI “Evaluation of Full Vehicle and Component Test Procedures for Improving Side Impact Crash Survivability” SAE Paper 830463
- MVMA Task Group #1 Coordinated Research September 1982 Report of the Accident Data Analysis Task Force
- Peugeot S. A. Renault Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics June 1983 San Diego, CA ISO SC-10, WG 1 - Side Impact Collisions, Accidentological Summary Report
- Strother C. Smith C. James Warner Detroit, MI February 1984 “Injury and Intrusion in Side Impacts” SAE Paper 831611
- Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Assoc. - AD HOC Engineering Research Subcommittee Fisher Body Test Report - APR Polyurethane Samples Nguyen M. August 1983
- Mertz H. J. General Motors Corporation May 1984 Washington, D. C. SAE Industry Government Meeting “Procedure for Normalizing Impact Response Data” SAE Paper 840884
- Kahane C. J. NHTSA November 1982 Ninth ESV Conference Kyoto, Japan “An Evaluation of Side Structure Improvements in Response to FMVSS 214”
- AD HOC Engineering Research Subcommittee Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association; Memorandum Report August 16 1983 Detroit, MI.