This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Side Impact Modelling Using Lumped Mass and CAL-3D CVS Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental research to improve protection levels offered to automobile occupants in lateral collisions has focused on the study of responses of the 50th percentile male as a result of the availability of the Side Impact Dummy of that size. The question of the suitability of protective measures developed for the 50th percentile male for the other occupant sizes is of concern. Hence, a major objective of this study was to analytically evaluate injury potential of a broad range of occupant sizes in lateral collisions in combination with various types of padding.
Two computer models were used in the study. The first was a one-dimensional lumped mass model. The CAL-3D crash victim simulation was also configured to represent an occupant in a lateral collision with intruding door motion.
Results of the study indicate that padding on the interior of the door surface is beneficial to all occupant sizes.
CitationSegal, D., "Side Impact Modelling Using Lumped Mass and CAL-3D CVS Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 840859, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840859.
- Fleck J.T. Butler F.E. DeLeys N.J. “Validation of the Crash Victim Simulator (4 Volumes) Final Report,” Calspan Corporation, Report No. DOT-HS-01300 August 1982
- Segal D.J. “Computer Modeling of the Side Impact Pentration of Dummies of Various Size into Padding, Final Report,” MGA Research Corporation, Contract No. DTNH22-82-C-07047 August 1983
- Eppinger R.H. Han-Sun Chan “Thoracic Injury Prediction via Digital Convolution Theory,” SAE Paper No. 811010 Twenty-Fifth Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1981
- Shaw M. Knight E. Rodack M. Trudgen A. Davis S. “Countermeasures for Side Impact, Final Report,” Dynamic Science, Inc. DOT Report DOT-HS-806319 August 1982
- Monk M.W. Sullivan L.K. “Side Impact Sled and Padding Development,” Safety Research Laboratory, Report No. DOT-HS-805-889 February 1981
- McGrath M.T. Segal D.J. “CAL-3D User Convenience Package Version 2, Volume 1 -Users Manual,” MGA Research Corporation Contract No. DTNH22-82-A-37046 August 1983
- Wismans J. Maltha J. “Application of Three-Dimensional Mathematical Occupant Model for the Evaluation of Side Impacts,” Proceedings of the 6th International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impacts Salon de Provence 1981
- Wismans J. Wittebrood J. “Lateral Dummy Camparison: Theoretical Analysis,” TNO Research Institute for Road Vehicles Report No. 700150015B, TNO-Complex Zuidpolder, Schoemakerstaat 97, Postbus 237, Delft, Holland August 1982