This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Front Wheel Drive Engine Mount Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a guide for front wheel drive transverse engine mount optimization. The rationale for trying to achieve certain powerplant mode shapes and desirable frequency trends for these mode shapes is discussed.
A mathematical proof is given for conditions which will ensure that the engine firing torque pulses excite only one engine mode. This will be shown to be desirable for satisfying the many conflicting design constraints.
A review of various optimization procedures which were tried is discussed and a detailed explanation of the selected MONTE CARLO procedure is given.
Extensive MOTRAN computer results are presented, both for a grounded engine and for a full vehicle.
|Technical Paper||An Analysis and Application of a Decoupled Engine Mount System for Idle Isolation|
|Technical Paper||Engine Mount System Focusing to Reduce Vehicle Shake|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Powerplant Isolation Strategies|
CitationGeck, P. and Patton, R., "Front Wheel Drive Engine Mount Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 840736, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840736.
- Adelberg M. “Motran User Manual” Structural Analysis Department Report Ford Motor Company
- Butkunas A. “Analysis of Vehicle Structures” International Journal of Vehicle Design 4
- Duncan A. “Application of Modal Modeling and Mount Systems Optimization to Light Duty Truck Ride Analysis” SAE Paper 811313
- Ishihara E. Emori R. I. “Torque Converter as a Vibration Damper and Its Transient Characteristics” SAE Paper 660368
- Johnson S. Subhedar J. “Computer Optimization of Engine Mounting Systems” SAE Paper 790974
- Lawson G. Lavi A. “Monte Carlo Programming: Random Searching in the Solution of Parameter Optimization Problems” Proceedings of the IEEE 1970 Systems Science and Cybernetics Conference Pittsburgh, PA Oct. 1970 257
- Vanderplaats G. N. “CONMIN - A FORTRAN Program for Constrained Function Minimization” NASA Report TM-X-62.282 August 1973