This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Survey of Performance Elastomers-Meeting Automotive Requirements of the '80s
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Continuing regulatory and consumer pressures and energy considerations have forced significant changes in the automotive industry. The resulting vehicle design objectives, which include downsizing, the move to front wheel drive, trends in optional equipment and fast-paced competitive design all have affected the amounts and types of elastomers used on today's vehicle. This paper will discuss some of the changes in elastomer usage, review some of the technical reasons for these changes and suggest trends for automotive elastomers in the next several years.
|Technical Paper||Drivelines Providing Torsional Flexibility|
|Technical Paper||Computerized Bearing System Analysis Tuned for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||A Family of Tapered Roller Bearings for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles|
CitationFoster, S. and Capriotti, D., "A Survey of Performance Elastomers-Meeting Automotive Requirements of the '80s," SAE Technical Paper 840408, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840408.
- FosterS. R., “Automotive and Elastomers Trends for the '80's — A U.S. Perspective,” presented to the Plastics and Rubber Institute 5th Australian Rubber Technology Convention — Canberra, Australia, October 1980.
- KahnS., GayenM. D., SeminR., “Automotive Drive Belts,”Automotive Elastomers & Design, Volume 1, No. 4, June1982.
- StiegR. F., WorleyW. S., “A Rubber Belt CVT for FWD Cars,”SAE paper 820746.
- CarrJ., GinnA., “Ethylene/Acrylic Elastomers — New Candidates for Sealing Applications,”SAE paper 780403.
- TusseyR. P., ChristiansenP. J., “Integral Ball Bearing Spindles for Automotive Wheel Applications,”SAE paper 810755.
- ZaiserG. L., “HYTREL® Polyester Elastomer for High Performance Flexible Boots,”SAE paper 811363.
- NersasianA., “The Effect of Lubricating Oil Additives on the Properties of Fluorohydrocarbon Elastomers,”ASLE preprint No. 79-AM-3C-3.
- “Stemming Oil Loss,”Elastomers Notebook (Du Pont) No. 215.
- MalcolmsonR. W., “U.S. Automotive Requirements for Elastomers in the 80's,” presented at the 23rd Annual Meeting IISRP in New Orleans, LA, April 1982.
- HughesW. D., “High Swell Gasket Technology — The Modern System Approach,”SAE paper 830651.
- NersasianA., “A Method for Predicting the Volume Increase of Fuel Handling Rubbers in Complex Fuel Blends,”SAE paper 800791.
- NersasianA, “Effect of ‘Sour’ Gasoline on Fuel Hose Rubber Materials,”SAE paper 790659.
- WyzgoskiM. G., “Migration of Antiozonant from Neoprene Hose Covers,”SAE paper 790658.
- MacLachlanJ. D., “Automotive Fuel Permeation Resistance — A Comparison of Elastomeric Materials,”SAE paper 790657.
- HallenbeckA., MacLachlanJ. D., “VITON® GLT,”Du Pont publication VT-250.GLT.
- MalcolmsonR. W., “Automotive Hoses: Present Needs and Future Trends in the U.S.,” presented at the Rubber Division, A.C.S., Chicago, Illinois, October 1982.
- SouffieR. D., “HYTREL® Polyester Elastomer: A Segmented Polyether-Ester Copolymer,” presented to Detroit Rubber Group, Detroit, Michigan, October 1981.