This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of a Combined Charging System on Turbocharged Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To improve the low-speed torque characteristics and the fuel economy and to reduce the exhaust gaseous emissions from a 10-liter, turbocharged diesel engines, charge air cooling with a resonant intake system has been introduced.
The use of an air-to-air intercooler mounted in front of the radiator results in increasing the change air density and the resonant intake system offers high volumetric charging efficiencies at low-speed region.
Actual engine data show an increase in power of 14 percent, the improvement of specific fuel consumption by 3-7 percent and a decrease in NOx emissions by 33 percent.
CitationLee, D., Her, K., and Chang, N., "An Application of a Combined Charging System on Turbocharged Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 840352, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840352.
- Kruithof J. “Design Aspects, Economics and Environmental Impact of Turbocharged Truck Diesel Engines” The Transport Engineer May 1977
- Zurner H. “Entwicklung Von aufgeladen M. A. N. -Fahrzeug-Dieselmotoren in Sechszylinder-Reihenbaurt” MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 41 1980
- Berenyi S.G. Raffa C.J. “Variable Area Turbocharger for High Output Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 790064
- Watson N. et al. “Turbocharger System Options for Vehicle Engines” I. Mech. E., Conference Turbochargers and Turbocharging Paper C 61/78 1978
- Mclntosch R.C. et al. “Turbo-charging a 6-Cylinder Diesel for Various Ratings and Applications” SAE Paper NO. 810341
- Kirchhofer H. “Aufladung von Fahrzeugdieselmotoren mit Comprex” Automobil-Industrie 1/77
- Brands M.C. “Helmholtz Tuned Induction System for Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 790069
- Knecht W. Signer M. “Development of the SAURER D4KT-B Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 810342
- Suzuki T. et al “Development of a Higher Boost Turbocharged Diesel Engine for Better Fuel Economy in Heavy Vehicles” SAE Paper No. 830379
- Haggh B. Holmer E. “Air-to-Air Charge Air Cooling for Truck Engines” SAE Paper No. 790770
- Sekar R.R. “Trends in Diesel Engine Charge Air Cooling” SAE Paper No. 830503
- McLean D.H. Ihnen M.H. “The Design and Development of an Air-to-Air Intercooled Engine for Agricultural Tractor Application” ASME Publication
- Holzhausen G. Pekar F.J. Jeney A.F. “Integral Air-to-Air Inter-cooling: A New Way to Improve Fuel Economy, Gaseous Emissions, and Increase Output” ASME Bublication
- Cser G. “Some results of combined charging application” Instn. Mech. Engrs, C64/78 1978
- Shimamoto Y. “Availability of Induction and Exhaust Pipe Effect (1)” Journal of Internal Combustion Engine (Japan) 10 108 93 1971