This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding the Process Mechanisms Is Key to Reliable Resistance Spot Welding Aluminum Auto Body Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes work conducted to understand the process mechanisms which cause electrode deterioration and inconsistent weld quality when welding aluminum auto body sheet. Surface objectives were found to be different at the outer and inner surfaces of the sheet. Various surface treatments were investigated and compared to arrive at an optimum treatment. Best overall results were obtained with a conversion coated inner surface and an arc-cleaned outer surface applied immediately before welding. Results were verified with an extended life test which produced more than 7,000 welds without a dud.
CitationPatrick, E., Auhl, J., and Sun, T., "Understanding the Process Mechanisms Is Key to Reliable Resistance Spot Welding Aluminum Auto Body Components," SAE Technical Paper 840291, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840291.
- Wefers K. “Properties and Characterization of Surface Oxides on Aluminum Alloys,” Aluminium 57 Nov 1981
- Sun T. S. “Electrode Deterioration Mechanisms in Resistance Spot Welding of Aluminum” Alcoa Internal Report No. 53-82-3 March 1982
- Wefers K. “Surface Properties of Auto Body Sheet” Alcoa Internal Report No. XC-486 March 1979
- Dilay W. Rogala E. A. Zulinski E. J. “Resistance Welding Aluminum for Automotive Production” SAE 770305 March 1977
- Ashton R. F. Rager D. D. “An Arc-Cleaning Approach for Resistance Welding Aluminum” Welding Journal September 1976
- O'Brien James M. Titus W. Jack “Arc Cleaning for Joining Aluminum” SAE 830524 March 1983
- Hoch F. R. “Joining of Aluminum Alloys 6009/6010” SAE 780396 March 1978
- Auhl J. R. Evans W. T. “Resistance Spot Welding of Chromium-Phosphate Conversion-Coated Auto Body Sheet” Alcoa Internal Report No. 52-83-9 March 1983
- The Aluminum Association “Guidelines to Resistance Spot Welding Aluminum Automotive Sheet” AA-T10 April 1982
- Auhl J. R. “10,000 Resistance Spot Welds on 6010-T4 Auto Body Sheet” Alcoa Internal Report No. 53-81-9 November 1981 Feb. 1982
- Rönnhult T. Rilby U. Olefjord I. “The Surface State and Weldability of Aluminum Alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering
- Hennings J. Maier J. “Improvement of Spot Welding of Aluminum Sheet by Surface Treatments,” Second international Conference on Aluminium Weldments May 1982