This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Influence of Tires on Straight-Running Motorcycle Weave Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of tires on straight-running motorcycle weave oscillation has been studied both experimentally and theoretically. Three sets of front and rear tires were used. The weave oscillation was excited by “Nitrogen gas-jet disturbance system” fitted to the instrumented test vehicle.
It was shown that the measured damping ratios of yaw rate were in good agreement with the calculations by the mathematical model in which several tire characteristics were considered.
The contribution of each tire coefficient to the damping ratio of the weave mode was also examined by parametric studies.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Investigation of the Transient Behavior of Motorcycles|
|Technical Paper||A Weave Model for Motorcycle Engineers|
|Technical Paper||On a Modeling of Shimmy Phenomenon for Two Wheeled Vehicles|
CitationTakahashi, T., Yamada, T., and Nakamura, T., "Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Influence of Tires on Straight-Running Motorcycle Weave Response," SAE Technical Paper 840248, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840248.
- Sharp R. S. “A Review of Motorcycle Steering Behavior and Straight Line Stability Characteristics.” SAE paper No. 780303 1978
- Sharp R. S. “The Stability and Control of Motorcycles.” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 13 316 329 1971
- Eaton D. J. Segel L. “Lateral Dynamics of the Uncontrolled Motorcycle.” Proceedings of the Second International Congress on Automotive Safety San Francisco July 1973
- Sharp R. S. “The Stability of Motorcycles in Acceleration and Deceleration.” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs (A.D) Conference on Braking of Road Vehicles Loughborough March 1976
- Segel L. Wilson R. “Requirements for Describing the Mechanics of Tires used on Single-Track Vehicles.” Proc. IUTAM Symposium on the Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Railway Tracks Delft 173 186 Aug 1975
- Aoki A. Motomiya S. Sato K. “Inertial Properties of Motorcycles.” JARI Technical Memorandum No. 62, Japan Automobile Research Institute 1977
- Aoki A. Motomiya S. Sato K. “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Motorcycles.” JARI Technical Memorandum No. 63 Japan Automobile Research Institute 1977
- Chenchanna P. Koch J. “Analysis of Stability and Handling Characteristics of Single Track Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 8 82 85 1979
- Sharp R. S. Alstead C. J. “The Influence of Structural Flexibilities on the Straight-running Stability of Motorcycles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 9 327 357 1980
- Spierings P. T. J. “The Effects of Lateral Front Fork Flexibility on the Vibrational Modes of Straight-Running Single-Track Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics 10 21 35 1981