This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Monotonic and Cyclic Fatigue Properties of Automotive Aluminum Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1984 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Monotonic and strain-controlled fatigue tests were conducted on 2014-T6, 6061-T6 and 7175 -T73 hand-forgings, 5052-H32 and 6061-T6 sheet, and a 1983/84 production Chevrolet Corvette upper -control-arm-pivot shaft (UCAPS) cold-forged from 5454-H12 and 6061-T4 rolled rod (the 6061 UCAPS was artificially-aged to the -T6 temper, after forging). Various monotonic and cyclic fatigue stress-strain material properties are presented. The responses of the various alloys and product-forms in terms of cyclic hardening or softening are described.
CitationWong, W., "Monotonic and Cyclic Fatigue Properties of Automotive Aluminum Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 840120, 1984, https://doi.org/10.4271/840120.
- Seshadri T. V. and Pierce P. R., “Some Considerations in Using Strain Life Approach in Fatigue Design”, SAE 790889, 1979.
- Wirsching P. H. and Kempert J. E., “Models that Predict Fatigue Failure”. Machine Design, July 8, 1976, pp 65-69.
- Steele J. M., “Improving the Accuracy of Fatigue Analysis”, Machine Design, December 9, 1982, pp 123-126.
- Landgraf R. W. and LaPointe N. R., “Cyclic Stress-Strain Concepts Applied to Component Fatigue Prediction”, SAE 740280, 1974.
- Martin J. F. and Lucas L. J., “Static and Cyclic Characterization of Annealed 5083-0 and Cold Worked 5083-H12 Aluminum”, Metallurgy, Mechanics & Material Science Dept., Michigan State University, East Lansing, December 1980.
- Sandor B. I. “Fundamentals of Cyclic Stress and Strain”, University of Wisconsin Press, 1972.
- Endo T. and JoDean Morrow, “Cyclic Stress-Strain and Fatigue Behavior of Representative Aircraft Metals”, Journal of Materials, JMSLA, Vol. 4, No. 1, March 1969, pp 159-175.
- Coffin, L. F. Jr. and Tavernelli J. F., “The Cyclic Straining and Fatigue of Metals”, Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, Vol. 215, October 1959, pp 794-807.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Information Report, Technical Report on Fatigue Properties-J1099, SAE, pp 4.44-4.52.