This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Proposal for an Engine Dynamometer Procedure for Evaluating the Relative Fuel Efficiency of Engine Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A multi-vehicle chassis dynamometer procedure for evaluating an engine oil for fuel economy effects has been accepted by ASTM and the lubrication industry with reservation. The reservation stems from the high test cost, the poor repeatability/reproducibility, and a concern that some additive chemistries are not being fairly evaluated. Recognizing these concerns, ASTM Committee D-2 has agreed to continue development work, but the thrust will now be toward a Sequence type, dynamometer engine test. The work which will be described here is part of a statistically designed study intended to screen operating conditions and hardware for their effects on fuel efficiency and test reliability. Three ASTM FEEO oils were evaluated relative to the FEEO reference oil HR-2 in a 2.8 L V-6 engine. Correlation with results from the 5-car test development program will be presented, as well as the results of the analysis for operating condition effects and sources of test variability.
CitationGalluccio, R. and Koller, R., "A Proposal for an Engine Dynamometer Procedure for Evaluating the Relative Fuel Efficiency of Engine Oils," SAE Technical Paper 831740, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831740.
- SAE Progress in Technology Series No. 27 “Engine Oil Effects on Vehicle Fuel Economy” 1982
- Status Report, Laboratory Engine Dynamometer Subpanel of the ASTM Fuel Efficient Engine Oils Task Force May 1982
- Galluccio R. A. Koller R. D. “The Relationship Between Multigrade Engine Oil Characteristics and Fuel Consumption in Engine Dynamometer Tests” SAE PAPER 811188 1981
- Galluccio R. A. Koller R. D. “Fuel Economy Testing - The Role of Statistics in Developing a Method” Lubrication Engineering 38 9 1981
- Minutes of ASTM Technical Division B Section 1 Passenger Car Engine Oil Classification Panel Meeting May 13 1981
- Minutes of ASTM Fuel Efficient Engine Oil Task Force Laboratory Dynamometer Subpanel Meeting July 22 1980
- Waddey W. E. Deane B. C. Shaub H. Carley R. A “Testing of Engine Oils Having Carryover Fuel Economy Effects” SAE PAPER 810317 1981
- ASTM Fuel Efficient Engine Oil Task Force Report on Activities April 23 1981