This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Premature Loss of Oil Consumption Control in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of some engine operating condition variables on loss of oil consumption control is discussed. A 200 hour multi-cylinder diesel lab engine test procedure is described which has shown the ability to assess the relative performance of lubricating oil formulations. The relationship of various parts rating measurements to oil consumption is shown. The detrimental effect of piston crownland deposits on oil consumption is demonstrated.
CitationHercamp, R., "Premature Loss of Oil Consumption Control in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 831720, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831720.
- “Cummins NTC 400 Test” June 1983 draft presented by the NTC 400 Working Group to the New Procedures Sub-panel of the Heavy Duty Classification Panel of the Heavy-Duty Engine Oil Section of ASTM D-2
- Ishizuki, Y. Soto, F. Takase, K. “Effect of Cylinder Liner Wear on Oil Consumption in Heavy Duty Diesel Engines,” SAE 810931 1981
- Ellerman, J. Rohrle, M. Schelling, H. “Oil Consumption and Blowby of Truck Diesel Engines-Test Bench Results,” SAE 810937 1981
- McGeehan, J.A. Fontana, B.J. Kramer, J.D. “The Effects of Piston Temperature and Fuel Sulfur on Diesel Engine Piston Deposits,” SAE 821216 1982
- McGeehan, J.A. Fontana, B.J. “Effect of Soot on Piston Deposits and Crankcase Oils - Infrared Spectrometric Technique for Analyzing Soot,” SAE 801368 1980
- Gergel, W.C. Riester, J.E. “Diesel Engine Oil Consumption Studies,” SAE 740525 1974
- Nasch, H. Brammertz, H.G. Gairing, M. “Evaluation of Piston Cleanliness of High-Quality Diesel Engine Oils In the MWM-B Test Method CEC L-12-A-76,” SAE 801344 1980
- Wilson, J.V.D. Calow, J.R.B. “Cylinder Bore Polishing in Automotive Diesel Engines - A Progress Report on a European Study,” SAE 760722 1976
- Davies, H.M. Stevens, J.L. Walters, D.K. “Lubricants for Highly Turbocharged Direct - Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE 790937 1979
- Knight, C.R. Weiser, H. “Lubrication Requirements of European Automotive Diesel Engines,” SAE 760721 1976