This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of the Supercharged Spark Ignition Hydrogen Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A combustion engine of a given displacement will develop less power when running on hydrogen compared to gasoline or natural gas operation due to less heating value of the fuel air mixture in the combustion chamber. This drop in output exists for external mixing of hydrogen and air prior to intake valve closure. However, external mixing does not require intricate engine modification. Without substantial investment, supercharging is an effective method to increase the output of a hydrogen engine which uses the simple technique of external mixing of hydrogen and air.
AVL stationary type research engine was used to investigate the percentage gain in output and thermal efficiency, knock limited combustion air ratios, NO emission and combustion characteristics at different supercharging pressures. The performance of the supercharged hydrogen engine is also compared with that of naturally aspirated hydrogen engine.
Results indicate that compared to naturally aspirated hydrogen engine the output increases as much as 233 % and the percentage increase in indicated thermal efficiency is 29 % at a combustion air ratio of 2.0 and speed of 1200 rpm. By supercharging the hydrogen engine, NO emission increases and knock limit sets in at combustion air ratio leaner than that of naturally aspirated engine. Reduced spark plug gap and better insulation of ignition system are necessary to avoid the ignition failure at supercharged condition of hydrogen engine.
|Technical Paper||Influence of Spark Discharge Energy on The Combustion Process In The Engine Fuelled With Natural Gas|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Efficiency and Emission Enhancements in a 4-Stroke Natural Gas Lean Burn Engine|
CitationNagalingam, B., Dübel, M., and Schmillen, K., "Performance of the Supercharged Spark Ignition Hydrogen Engine," SAE Technical Paper 831688, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831688.
- Töpler J. Bernauer O. Buchner H. ‘Use of Hydrides in Motor Vehicles’ J. Materials for Energy Systems 2 3 10 1980
- Cox Kenneth E. Williamson, K.D. Jr ‘Hydrogen - Its Technology and Implications’ IV 1979
- Nagalingam B Dübel F. Schmillen K. ‘Performance Study-Using Natural Gas, Hydrogen Supplemented Natural Gas and Hydrogen in AVL Research Engine’ paper accepted for publication in International Journal of Hydrogen Energy July 1982
- Pischinger F. Menne R. ‘Wasserstoffanwendung im Verbren-nungsmotor’ paper presented at Kolloquium “Prozeßtwärme aus Hoch-temperaturreaktoren” des SFB 163 der RWTH Aachen Sept 1981
- Pischinger F. ‘Verbrennungsmoto-ren’, Part II p 228 Lehrstuhl fur Angewandte Thermodynamik, RWTH Aachen, W. Germany
- Obert E.F. ‘Internal Combustion Engines’ International Textbook Company USA