This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Child Restraints Legislation in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference with IRCOBI and Child Injury and Restraint Conference with IRCOBI (1983)
A short review is presented on crash protection standards for children in the European countries. In Europe the only international standard is the new ECE 44 regulation on child restraints, which is currently replacing most of the existing national standards. The specific requirements of this regulation cover aspects such as: configuration of the systems, allowed types of buckles, straps, retractors, adjustment devices, corrosion and crash performance. An evaluation of the crash performance of a wide variety of current restraint systems is presented, based on two years of experience with the regulation. This shows the restrictive nature of the regulation and the need for substantial redesign of most of the current products. Finally additional suggestions are presented to increase the acceptance of the systems by the children as well as the parents.
CitationBastiaanse, J. and Maltha, J., "Child Restraints Legislation in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 831651, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831651.
- Addendum 43: Regulation 44 to the UN agreement concerning the adoption of uniform conditions of approval and reciprocal recognition of approval for motor vehicle equipment and parts. E/ECE/324, E/ECE/TRANS/505 Rev 1/Add 43 22 January 1981
- The TNO child dummies P ¾, P 3, P 6 and P 10, TNO-report 1979
- Wismans, J. Stalnaker, R.L. Maltha, J. Comparison study of two 3-year old child dummies (Part 572 and P 3) in a harness type child restraint system, 6th IRCOBI conference Salon de Provence 1981
- Wismans, J. Maltha, J. Comparison study of two 3-year old child dummies: the Part 572 and the P 3. 25th AAAM conference San Francisco 1981
- Bastiaanse, J.C. Maltha, J. Tak, A.G.M. Evaluation of the dynamic test requirements for child restraints according to the ECE 44 regulation, 7th IRCOBI conference Cologne 1982