This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Identification of Internal Noise Sources in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 12, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to identify noise sources in a diesel engine, specifically exciting forces such as combustion and piston slap, the so-called coherence method which utilizes relationships between the auto and cross spectra of cylinder pressure, cylinder liner acceleration and engine noise has been examined. Also, as an alternative, a multivariable regression analysis in one-third octave band auto spectra of each signal mentioned above has been made.
It was shown that the simple coherence model studied does not seem useful for this particular type of noise source identification problem. However, the multivariable regression approach has yielded fairly reasonable results, though some problems have been found in accuracy.
From this research, it was found that combustion noise is predominant for heavier engine load conditions, though at lower load and high speed conditions, piston slap noise becomes appreciable.
CitationYawata, Y. and Crocker, M., "Identification of Internal Noise Sources in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 831330, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831330.
- Crocker M. J., “The Use of Existing and Advanced Intensity Techniques to Identify Noise Sources on a Diesel Engine,” SAE 810694, see also SAE Transactions, 90, 1981, pp. 2227-2238.
- Reinhart T. E. and Crocker M.J., “Noise Source Identification on a Diesel Engine Using Acoustic Intensity Measurements,” Noise Control Engineering, 18(3), 1982, pp. 84-92.
- DeJong R. G. and Manning J. E., “Modeling of Vibration Transmission in Engines to Achieve Noise Reduction,” SAE 790360
- Priede T., “In Search of Origins of Engine Noise -- an Historical Review,” SAE 800534
- Austin A. E. W. and Priede T., “Origins of Diesel Engine Noise,” Proceedings Symposium on Engine Noise and Noise Suppression, I. Mech E., London, Oct. 24, 1958, pp. 19-36 and 59-61.
- Priede T., “Relation between Form of Cylinder Diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines,” Proc. I. Mech. E., London, No. 1, 1960-61.
- Haddad S. D., Priede T. and Pullen H. L., “Relation Between Combustion and Mechanically Induced Noise in Diesel Engines,” 15th FISITA Congress, Paris, 1974.
- Anderton D. and Duggal V. K., “Effect of Turbocharging on Diesel Engine Noise, Emissions and Performance,” SAE 750797
- Fielding B. J. and Skorecki J., “Identification of Mechanical Sources of Noise in a Diesel Engine: Sound Origination from Piston Slap,” Proc. I. Mech. E., No. 46, 1969-70.
- Ungar E. E. and Ross D., “Vibrations and Noise due to Piston Slap in Reciprocating Machinery,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 1(2), pp. 132-146, 1965.
- Bendat J. S. and Pierson A. G., Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, Wiley & Sons, New York, 1971.
- Bendat J. S. and Piersol A. G., “Engineering Applications of Correlations and Spectral Analysis,” Wiley & Sons, New York, 1980.
- Crocker M. J. and Hamilton J. F., “Modeling of Diesel Engine Noise Using Coherence,” SAE 790362, see also SAE Transactions. 88, 1980, pp. 1263-1273.
- Chung J.Y., Crocker M.J. and Hamilton J.F., “Measurement of Frequency Responses and the Multiple Coherence Function of the Noise-Generation System of a Diesel Engine,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 58(3), 1975, pp. 635-642.
- Seybert A. F. and Crocker M.J., “The Use of Coherence Techniques to Predict the Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Diesel Engine Noise,” Transactions of ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, 97(13), 1976, pp. 1227-1233.
- Strahle W. C. and Handley J. C., “Stochastic Combustion and Diesel Engine Noise,” SAE 770408
- Alpini A., Busso M., Ruspa G. and Turnio G., “Analysis Techniques of Combustional Noise and Vibrations in Diesel Engines,” SAE 800406
- Pischinger F. F., Schmillen K. P. and Leipold F. W., “A New Measuring Method for the Direct Determination of Diesel Engine Combustion Noise,” SAE 790267
- Hayes P. A., Seybert A. F. and Hamilton J. F., “A Coherence Model for Piston-Impact Generated Noise,” SAE 790274
- Rohrle M. D., “Affecting Diesel Engine Noise by the Piston,” SAE 750799