This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Aerodynamic Development of the Probe IV Advanced Concept Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 06, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic development and characteristics of a four-passenger advanced concept automobile are described. An overview of the areas of the vehicle design which were dealt with to obtain a drag coefficient value of 0.153 is provided. The interior packaging philosophy is outlined which led to the potential for packaging four to six passengers within an extremely low drag automobile. Parametric shape studies of the major surface design elements are documented from the contributing development testing. The particular design treatments adopted and the rationale behind the choice of design are examined for each of the aerodynamically-sensitive areas of the vehicle. Examinations of the unique solutions to vehicle cooling, ramp and curb clearance, front wheel skirting and vehicle attitude are presented. Full scale wind tunnel data is shown for the configurations examined and vehicle stability parameters compared with conventional vehicles.
CitationSanter, R. and Gleason, M., "The Aerodynamic Development of the Probe IV Advanced Concept Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 831000, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/831000.
- Hucho W. H. “Designing Cars for Low Drag - State of the Art and Future Potential” International Journal of Vehicle Design 3 3 August 1982
- Hucho W. H. Janssen L. J. Emmelmann H. J. “The Optimization of Body Details - A Method for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicles,” SAE Paper 760185 February 1976
- Morelli A. Fioravanti L. Cogotti A. “The Body Shape of Minimum Drag,” SAE Paper 760186 February 1976
- Morel T. “Aerodynamic Drag of Bluff Body Shapes Characteristic of Hatch-Back Cars,” SAE Paper 780267 February 1978
- Buchheim R. Leie B. “The Development of the Audi 100 - A New Approach in Aerodynamic Passenger Car Design” Proceedings from the International Symposium on Vehicle Aerodynamics Wolfs-burg, W. Germany December 1982
- “SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses,” SAE J1252 August 1979
- Barth R. “Effect of Unsymmetrical Wind Incidence on Aerodynamic Forces Acting on Vehicle Models and Similar Bodies,” SAE Paper 650136 January 1965
- Holka T. C. Jensen R. M. “Engineering Development of the Probe IV Advanced Concept Vehicle,” to be presented to the 1983 SAE Passenger Car Meeting Dearborn, Michigan June 1983