This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Stochastic Considerations in Theoretical Formulation of Acoustic Intensity Method Using Two Microphones
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The theoretical formulation of the cross-spectral density formula based on finite difference approximations is examined in light of certain stochastic considerations. General expressions for mean square errors involved in estimating acoustic pressure and particle velocity for determining acoustic intensity are derived. It is shown that estimation of particle velocity using finite difference approximation is, in particular, not satisfactory even for very small microphone spacings. The results presented in this paper indicate the necessity of evolving more rigorous and stochastically sound estimation procedures for determining acoustic pressure and particle velocity.
CitationMathur, G., "Some Stochastic Considerations in Theoretical Formulation of Acoustic Intensity Method Using Two Microphones," SAE Technical Paper 830769, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830769.
- Chung, J. Y. "Cross-Spectral Method of Measuring Acoustic Intensity," Research Publication General Motors Research Laboratories 1977
- Thompson, J. K. "Acoustic Intensity Measurement Error," Proc. InterNoise 723 1982
- Seybert, A. F. "Confidence Limits and Random Errors for Acoustic Intensity Measurements," Proc. "Recent Developments in Acoustic Intensity Measurement", Senlis, France 1981
- Papoulis, A. "Probability, Random Variables, and Stochastic Processes McGraw Hill Book Company New York 1965
- Bendat, J. S. Piersol, A. G. "Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York 1971
- Mathur, G. P. "A Stochastic Formulation for Cross-Spectral Density Method of Estimating Acoustic Intensity," Beech Engineering Research Report Beech Aircraft Corporation 1982
- Mathur, G. P. "A General Theoretical Formulation for Acoustic Intensity Method Using Two Microphones," Proc. NOISE-CON 83 1983
- Chung, J. Y. Blaser, D. A. "Transfer Function Method of Measuring Acoustic Intensity in a Duct System with Flow," J. Acoust. Soc. Am 6 1570 1980