This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Aircraft Structural Damage from Acoustic Overpressures Due to Lightning Strikes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Available data in the literature and test data were collected to determine predictive equations for the magnitude and wave shapes for lightning induced overpressures on aircraft structures. Mathematical models were developed for panel response from both normal and grazing incidence pressure pulses. The predictive models were compared to data of lightning overpressure damage on two general aviation aircraft.
CitationFaulkner, L. and Shumaker, G., "Prediction of Aircraft Structural Damage from Acoustic Overpressures Due to Lightning Strikes," SAE Technical Paper 830768, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830768.
- SAE Committee AE4, Task F, "Lightning Test Waveforms and Techniques for Aerospace Vehicles and Hardware", 1976.
- Uman, M.A., Lightning,, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York 1969.
- Lin, Shao-Chi, “Cylindrical Shock Waves Produced by Instantaneous Energy Release”, J. Applied Physics, 25, 1954.
- Jones, D.L. Goyer, G.C., Plooster, M.N., "Shock Wave From a Lightning Discharge", J. Geophs. Res., 73, 1971.
- Uman, M.A., Cookson, A.H., Moreland, J.B., "Shock Wave From a Four-Meter Spark", J. Applied Physics, 41, 1970.
- Plooster, M.N., "Numerical Model of the Return Stroke of the Lightning Discharge", Phys. of Fluids, 14, 1971.
- Plooster, M.N., "Numerical Simulation of Spark Discharges in Air", Physics of Fluids, 14, 1971.
- Krider, E.P., Dawson, G.A., Uman, M.A., "Peak Power and Energy Dissipation in a Single-Stroke Lightning Flash", J.Geophysics Res., 73, 1968.
- Hill, R.D., "Energy Dissipation in Lightning", J. Geophysics Res., 82, 1977.
- Uman, M.A., "A Comparison of Natural Lightning and the Long Laboratory Spark With Application to Lightning Testing", FAA Report No. NA-69-27, 1970.
- Fertis, D.G., Dynamics and Vibration of Structures, Wiley, 1973.
- Faulkner, L.L., editor, Handbook of Industrial Noise Control, Industrial Press, Inc., New York, N.Y., 1976, Chapter 7.
- Crocker, M.J., "Multimode Response of Panels to Normal and Traveling Sonic Booms", Acoustical Society of America Journal, 42, 1967.
- Ramberg, W., "Normal Pressure Tests of Rectangular Plates", NACA Technical Note No. 849, 1942.
- Plummer, J.A., "Lightning Strike Feedback: Some Trends Emerge", Flight Operations, Feb. 1979.
- Simon, C., "Fly-by-Lightning", Science News, 122, pp 346-347, Nov. 27, 1982.