This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Handling Qualities of Canards, Tandem Wings, and Other Unconventional Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the years, a wide variety of aircraft configurations have been flown with varying degrees of success. A brief survey of the handling qualities of canard, tandem wing, and flying wing designs indicates that longitudinal stability and control, lateral/directional stability and control, and stall behavior of these concepts were important factors in achieving pilot acceptance.
|Technical Paper||Executive Summary of Cal Poly/NASA Extreme Short Takeoff and Landing (ESTOL) Work|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Simulations of Tandem-Airfoil Aerodynamics|
|Technical Paper||CaRnard - A New Roadable Aircraft Concept|
CitationAnderson, S., "Handling Qualities of Canards, Tandem Wings, and Other Unconventional Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 830763, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830763.
- Anderson, Seth B., "Historical Overview of Stall/Spin Characteristics of General Aviation Aircraft," AIAA Paper 78-1551, July 1979.
- Perkins, Courtland D., "The Development of Stability and Control Technology," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 7, July-Aug. 1970, pp. 290-301.
- McFarland, Marvin, ed., The Papers of Wilbur and Orville Wright, McGraw-Hill, New York 1953.
- Rutan, Burt, "Tale of the Three EZ's," Sport Aviation, Vol. 29, No. 2, Feb. 1980.
- Yip, Long P. and Coy, Paul F., "Wind Tunnel Investigation of a Full-Scale Canard-Configured General Aviation Aircraft," ICAS Paper 82-6.8.2, Aug. 1982.
- Feistel, T. W., Corsiglia, V. R., and Levin, D. B., "Wind-Tunnel Measurements of Wing-Canard Interference and a Comparison with Various Theories," SAE Paper 8105751, April 1981.
- Chevalier, H. L., "Aerodynamics of Aircraft Configurations with Primary and Secondary Wing Planforms," ICAS Paper 82-683, Aug. 1982.
- Kroo, Alan M., "Aerodynamics Aero-elasticity and Stability of Hang Gliders — Experimental Results," NASA TM-81269, April 1981.