This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Handling Qualities of Canards, Tandem Wings, and Other Unconventional Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over the years, a wide variety of aircraft configurations have been flown with varying degrees of success. A brief survey of the handling qualities of canard, tandem wing, and flying wing designs indicates that longitudinal stability and control, lateral/directional stability and control, and stall behavior of these concepts were important factors in achieving pilot acceptance.
|Technical Paper||Executive Summary of Cal Poly/NASA Extreme Short Takeoff and Landing (ESTOL) Work|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Simulations of Tandem-Airfoil Aerodynamics|
|Technical Paper||CaRnard - A New Roadable Aircraft Concept|
CitationAnderson, S., "Handling Qualities of Canards, Tandem Wings, and Other Unconventional Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 830763, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830763.
- Anderson, Seth B. "Historical Overview of Stall/Spin Characteristics of General Aviation Aircraft," AIAA Paper 78-1551 July 1979
- Perkins, Courtland D. "The Development of Stability and Control Technology," Journal of Aircraft 7 July-Aug. 1970 290 301
- McFarland, Marvin The Papers of Wilbur and Orville Wright, McGraw-Hill New York 1953
- Rutan, Burt "Tale of the Three EZ's," Sport Aviation 29 2 Feb. 1980
- Yip, Long P. Coy, Paul F. "Wind Tunnel Investigation of a Full-Scale Canard-Configured General Aviation Aircraft," ICAS Paper 82-6.8.2 Aug. 1982
- Feistel, T. W. Corsiglia, V. R. Levin, D. B. "Wind-Tunnel Measurements of Wing-Canard Interference and a Comparison with Various Theories," SAE Paper 8105751 April 1981
- Chevalier, H. L. "Aerodynamics of Aircraft Configurations with Primary and Secondary Wing Planforms," ICAS Paper 82-683 Aug. 1982
- Kroo, Alan M. "Aerodynamics Aero-elasticity and Stability of Hang Gliders — Experimental Results," NASA TM-81269 April 1981