This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applications of Monte Carlo Simulation to Vehicle Maintenance and Component Remanufacturing Decisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As component and systems sophistication in both cars and trucks increase, improved diagnostic capabilities are required to assure proper and expedient serviceability. Replacement of electrical modules, starter motors, carburetors, fuel injectors and even whole engines or transmissions is encouraged by high labor costs and continued vehicle mobility mandates. The remanufacturing business has grown and components previously discarded now provide valuable core elements to feed the industry. To achieve efficient utilization of capital, equipment and labor, remanufacturers must estimate when this supply of core elements will be available and plan their production schedules accordingly.
In order to properly service private individuals and commercial fleets, minimize vehicle downtime and reduce life cycle costs, adaptation of available analytical tools must be made. This paper adopts the Monte Carlo simulation model as a predictive tool for OEM's, remanufacturers and large fleets to gauge the requirements for maintenance and facility requirements.
CitationBothe, D., Mitchell, R., and Rutter, R., "Applications of Monte Carlo Simulation to Vehicle Maintenance and Component Remanufacturing Decisions," SAE Technical Paper 830550, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830550.
- Mitchell R. L. Rutter, R. R. “A Study of Automotive Reliability and Associated Cost of Maintenance in the U.S.A.” Society of Automotive Engineers 1978
- Chiltons , “Commercial Car Journel” 1981
- B. Chase Richard J. Aquilano, Nicholas “Production and Operations” Richard D. Irwin, Inc., Illinois 1976
- Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the U.S. Inc., “MVMA Motor Vehicle Facts and Figures '82”. 1982
- U.S. Federal Highway Administration, “National Personal Transportation Study”, 1977
- Lipson Charles Sheth, N. J. “Statistical Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1977
- Hastings N. A. J. Thomas, D. W. “Overhaul Policies for Mechanical Equipment” Proceedings, The institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 185-90∕71, London, England
- Blanchard B. S. Lowery, E. E. “Maintainability, Principles and Practices” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1969