This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Characteristics of Fuel Atomization and Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Fuel Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purposes of this study are to clarify the atomization mechanism, the change over time in droplet size distribution, and the change in spray characteristics dependent on back pressure on diesel fuel spray. Diesel spray injected into a quiescent gaseous environment under high pressure is observed by taking direct microscopic photographs varying the moment of exposure, the back pressure, and the ambient density. The results show that the mechanism of spray atomization is divided into 4 processes, and spatial distribution of breakup droplets and a droplet volume rate are assessed for the whole spray region. Total and local distributions of droplet size are expressed by empirical equations as a function of time elapsed from the moment of injection. It is confirmed that the uniformity of the distribution, Sauter mean diameter of droplets, and droplet production rate change with time. Mean droplet diameter is further described in relation to the pressure drop and the ambient density.
CitationTakeuchi, K., Senda, J., and Shikuya, M., "Transient Characteristics of Fuel Atomization and Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Fuel Spray," SAE Technical Paper 830449, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830449.
- Hiroyasu, H. Tanasawa, Y. “On a Drop Size Analyser for Liquid Sprays by Sedimentation” Trans. of the JSME (in Japanese) 29 No. 198 1963 377 385
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. “Tuel Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Combution Chamber” SAE Trans. 84 1974 2615 2624
- Ranz, W. E. “Some Experiments on Orifice Sprays” Canad. J. Chem. Engng. 36 August 1958 175 181
- Hiroyasu, H. Aral, M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle in Diesel Engines” Trans. of the JSME (in Japanese) 21 1980 5 11
- Fujimoto, H. Sugihara, H. Tanabe, H. Sato, G. T. “Investigations on Combustion in Medium Speed Marine Diesel Engines Using Model Chamber” 14th CIMAC 1981 D-38
- Hiroyasu, H. Toyota, Y. Kadota, T. “Transient Characteristics of Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Sprays” Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 1978 125 131
- Kuniyoshi, H. Sato, G. T. Fujimoto, H. “Investigation on the Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Spray” SAE Trans. 1980 800968
- Takeuchi, K. Murayama, H. Senda, J. Yamada, K. “Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Fuel Spray” Bulletin of the JSME 26 No. 215 1983
- Takeuchi, K. Tsukamoto, T. “On a Measurement of a Small Droplet by Photography” The Sci. and Engng. Review of Doshisha Univ. (in Japanese) 10 No. 1 1969 25 33
- York, J. L. Stubbs, H. E. “Photographic Analysis of Sprays” Trans. ASME 74 No. 7 1952 1157 1162
- DeCorso, S. M. “Effect of Ambient and Fuel Pressure on Spray Drop Size” Trans. ASME, Ser. A 82 No. 1 1960 10 18
- Sugimoto, A. Kobayashi, K. “Experimental Investigation of Burning Spray (Relation among Dimensionless Numbers)” Bulletin of the JSME 21 No. 153 1978 494 501
- Nukiyama, S. Tanasawa, Y. “An Experiment on the Atomization of Liquid by an Air Stream” Trans. of the JSME (in Japanese) 5 No. 18 1939 63 67
- Chiba, C. “Atomization of Liquid by Immersed and Convergent Ultrasonic Vibrators (Case of Distilled Water)” Bulletin of the JSME 18 No. 118 1975 376 382
- Sitkei, G. “Hraftstoffanfbereitung und Verbrennung bei Dieselmotoren” Springer-Verlag 1964