This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of the Initiation and Development of Part-Load Combustions in Spark-Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The low efficiency of spark-ignition engines at partial load is mainly due to non-optimum combustion. Investigation of such combustion shows that an initial phase must be distinguished from the development phase. Unacceptable combustions may be of various types such as slow and/or late burning, misfire. An experimental method based on pressure-diagram acquisition and real-time cycle-to-cycle computer processing has been developed to characterize the effects of such combustions on engine-running efficiency and smoothness. The effects of the most significant parameters --ignition, combustion-chamber geometry, mixture turbulence and composition -- have been investigated with various industrial combustion chambers, leading to guidelines for optimization. To further the study of engines, fundamental data on flame initiation have been obtained through laboratory experimentation using laser tomography.
CitationDouaud, A., de Soete, G., and Henault, C., "Experimental Analysis of the Initiation and Development of Part-Load Combustions in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 830338, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830338.
- Douaud A. M. Eyzat, P. “DIGITAP, An On-line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data, Applications,” SAE paper 770218 , presented at the SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit February 1977
- Krieger R. B. Borman, G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines,” “” ASME paper 66-WA/DGP-4 November 1966
- Quader, A. A. “What Limits Lean Operation in SI Engines - Flame Initiation or Propagation?” SAE paper 760760 , presented at the Automotive Engineering Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan October 1976
- De Soete, G. G. “Propagation Behavior of Spark Ignited Flames in Early Stages,” paper to be presented at the International Conference on Fundamentals of Combustion and Effect of Turbulence in Engines to be held at Oxford University April 11–14 1983
- Rask, R. B. “Laser Doppler Anemometer Measurements in IC Engines,” SAE paper 790094 , presented at the SAE International Meeting, Detroit February 1979
- Witze, P. O. “Influence of Air Motion Variation on the Performance of a Direct Injected Stratified Charge Engine,” SAE paper 798756, IME, London November 1980
- Tabaczynski, R. D. Ferguson C. R. Radhakrishnar, K. “A Turbulent Entrainment Model for S.I. Engine Combustion,” SAE paper 770647 , presented at the Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Tulsa June 1977
- Hires, S. D. Tabaczynski R. J. Novak, J. M. “The Prediction of Ignition Delay and Combustion Intervals for a Homogeneous Charge, Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 780232 , presented at the SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit February 1978
- Gauffier S. Douaud, A. “Recherche d’une formulation pratique de la vitesse de propagation de flamme à partir de résultats experimentaux en bombe,” Institut Français du Pétrole November 1978
- De Soete G. G. Douaud, A. “Vitesses normales de propagation de flammes laminaires diluées par leurs propres produits de combustion,” Institut Francais du Petrole November 1978
- Hutchinson, P. Morse A. Whitelaw, J. H. “Velocity Measurements in Motored Engines,” SAE paper 780061 , presented at the SAE International Congress, Detroit February 1978
- Boyer, L. “Laser Tomography Method for Flame Front Movement Studies,” Combustion and Flame 1980 39 321 327
- De Soete, G. G. “Measurement of Initial Flame Speed Laser Tomography,” Colloque International Berthelot-Vielle-Malard-Le Chatelier The Combustion Institute Bordeaux 1981 49 54
- Clyde C. Swett, C. Jr. “Spark Ignition of Flowing Gases Using Long-Duration Discharges,” Sixth Symposium (Internat.) on Combustion Reinhold, New York 1956 523 532
- De Soete, G. G. “The Influence of Isotropic Turbulence on the Critical Ignition Energy” Thirteenth Symposium (Internat.) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1970 735 743
- Ballal D. R. Lefebvre, A. H. “The Influence of Flow Parameters on Minimum Ignition Energy and Quenching Distance,” Fifteenth Symposium (Internat.) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1974 1473 1480