This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Battery Design for Automotive Diesel Starting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The last eight years have seen a major shift in vehicle design toward smaller, more fuel efficient automobiles and light trucks. Because of their inherent fuel economy advantage, Diesel engines have made a significant entry into the market. Their extremely high cold cranking power requirements have in turn created a challenge to battery design engineers.
Detailed attention to two areas of battery design has provided the power output improvements necessary for reliable starting performance. Battery electrical performance goals have been achieved through evolutionary changes in design parameters which were quantified by application of computer modeling techniques to designing for maximum power. Data has been generated for a specific battery group size which contrasts conventional and diesel battery performance characteristics.
|Journal Article||Virtual 48 V Mild Hybridization: Efficient Validation by Engine-in-the-Loop|
|Technical Paper||Research and Analysis of ISG Belt-drive System for Idling Stop System|
|Technical Paper||Modeling and Simulation of Small Hybrid|
CitationPierson, J. and Johnson, R., "Battery Design for Automotive Diesel Starting," SAE Technical Paper 830277, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830277.
- Tiedemann W. H. Newman J. “Performance Simulation of Lead-Acid Batteries Based on Mathematical Models,” Electrochemical Society Proceedings - Battery Design and Optimization Gross S. 1978
- Tiedemann W. H. Newman J. “Current and Potential Distribution in Lead-Acid Battery Plates,” Electrochemical Society Proceedings - Battery Design and Optimization Gross S. 1978
- U. S. Patent Numbers 4,118,553 and 4,243,362. Patents issued and/or applied for in. other countries.
- Pierson J. R. Weinlein C. E. “Development of Unique, Lightweight, High Performance Lead-Acid Batteries” Paper presented to 13th International Power Sources Symposium Brighton England 1982
- Tiedemann W. Newman J. DeSua E. “Potential Distribution in the Lead-Acid Battery Grid” Power Sources 6 15 1977 Collins D.H.
- Pierson J. Weinlien C. Wright C. “Determination of Acceptable Contaminant Ion Concentration Levels in a Truly Maintenance-Free Lead-Acid Battery,” Power Sources 5 1975 Collins D.H.
- Weinlein C. E. “Design Aspects of a Unique Lead-Acid E.V. Battery” 783105E, Proceedings of the Fifth International Electric Vehicle Symposium, Philadelphia 1978
- Sabatino A. “Cathanode: A New Dimension in High Performance Batteries” Transcript of a Presentation at the 94th Convention of Battery Council International, New York 1982
- Bode H. Lead-Acid Batteries Wiley New York 1977
- Newman J. Tiedemann W. “Porous-Electrode Theory with Battery Applications” A.I.C.H.E. Journal. 21 1 1975
- Vinal G. W. Storage Batteries Fourth Edition, 211 213 Wiley, New York 1955