This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Tire Rolling Loss on Fuel Consumption of Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A linear relation between tire rolling loss and fuel consumption is derived experimentally for a tractortrailer operated at constant speed. The relation is used to investigate tire related fuel consumption and general effects of tire rolling loss changes. The results are compared with corresponding data of passenger cars .
CitationSchuring, D. and Redfield, J., "Effect of Tire Rolling Loss on Fuel Consumption of Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 821267, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821267.
- Schuring, D. J. “The Rolling Loss of Pneumatic Tires′” Rubber Chem. &Tech. Vol. 53 No. 3 July-Aug. 1980 600 727
- Kirk, R. “The Positive Effect of Radial Ply Tires on Fuel Economy of Military Vehicle” paper presented at ASTM F-9 Spring Symposium May 1974
- Bartos, J. “Assessment of the Rolling Resistance of Tyres by Measuring The Fuel Consumption of the Vehicle” Intl. Polymer Science and Techn. Vol. 2 No. 8 1975 T77 T81
- Williams, T. “Energy Losses in Heavy Commercial Vehicles” Transport and Road Research Lab Crowthorne (England) TRRL Rep 329 1977
- Campbell, K. L. “A Comparison of Radial And Non-Radial Tire Construction With Respect to Rolling Resistance And Vehicle Fuel Economy” SAE Conf. Proc. P-74 1977 13 19
- Kibbee, L. Allen, J. E. “Report of St. Louis Truck Fuel Economy Demonstration” SAE Paper 780975 1978
- Knight, R. E. “Tire Parameter Effects on Truck Fuel Economy” SAE Paper 791043 1979
- “Factors Affecting Truck Fuel Economy” The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company November 1981
- Smith, G. L., “Commercial Vehicle Performance And Fuel Economy” SAE SP-355 1970
- Renouf, M. A. “An Analysis of The Fuel Consumption of Commercial Vehicles by Computer Simulation” Transport and Road Research Lab Crowthorne (England) TRRL-LR-973 1981
- Buck, R. “A Computer Program (HEVSIM) For Heavy Duty Vehicle Fuel Economy And Performance Simulation” DOT-TSC Final Draft Rep. Vols. I, II, III January 1981
- Holt W. L. Wormeley, P. L. “Effect of Tire Resistance on Fuel Consumption” Technical Papers Bureau of Standards Vol. 19 1925 213 223
- Schuring, D. J. “Tire Rolling Loss And Its Relation To Fuel Economy” Paper No. 80345 presented at 18. Intl. FISITA Congress 1980 Hamburg, Germany
- Hill, F. W. Jr. Moore, R. C. “Tire Rolling Resistance Reduction; Its Effect on Vehicle Fuel Economy And Other Performance Areas” GM Special Publication 7704 Oct. 1978
- Knight, R. E. “Correlation of Truck Tire Rolling Resistance as Derived From Fuel Economy And Laboratory Tests” SAE Paper 821266 1982
- Korff, P. V. “Power Trains of Heavy Duty Trucks With Combined Super-charging Systems And Intercooling” Proc, 1st Intl. Automotive Fuel Economy Research Conf. DOT Washington Oct-Nov. 1979 277 283
- Thompson G. D. Reinman, M. E. “Tire Rolling Resistance And Vehicle Fuel Consumption” SAE Paper 810168 1981