This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Surface Curvature Reduction Factor for Truck Tire Rolling Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a method for converting truck tire rolling resistance data obtained on a roadwheel in accordance with SAE J 1379 to its equivalent rolling resistance on a flat surface.
The assumptions used in the derivation presented in the Appendix are appropriate for truck tires. However, the resulting factor is identical with the factor in current use for passenger car tire rolling resistance.
Data is present from twelve tires tested on both flat and curved surfaces. The data supports the correction factor within about 1%.
|Technical Paper||MOTOR TRUCK TIRES|
|Technical Paper||Speed Determination in Car-Truck Sideswipe Collisions|
CitationLuchini, J., "Test Surface Curvature Reduction Factor for Truck Tire Rolling Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 821264, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821264.
- Clark, S. K. “Rolling Resistance Forces in Pneumatic Tires.” U. S. Department of Transportation TSC Report No. D0T-TSC-76-1 January 1976
- Masaki, R. Tanida, Y. Ikeya, C. Harada, I. “Research on Rolling Resistance of Tires.” J. Mech. Lab., Japan Vol. 4 No. 1 43 1958
- Clark S. K. Schuring, D. J. “Interlaboratory Tests for Tire Rolling Resistance.” SAE Paper 780636
- Bekker M. G. Semonin, F. V. “A Note on Tire Rolling Resistance Due to Test Wheel Curvature.” Tire Science and Technology Vol. 5 No. 2 119 122 May 1977
- Khromov, M. K. “Influence of the Curvature of the Surface of Drums of Rolling Machines on the Rolling Losses of Tyres.” Soviet Rubber Technology Vol. 29 No. 1 39 41 1970
- Schuring, D. J. “The Rolling Loss of Pneumatic Tires.” Rubber Chemistry and Technology” Vol. 53 No. 3 600 1980
- Bogdan L. Rice, R. “Laboratory and Full Scale Parametric Studies of the Rolling Resistance of Radial- and Bias-Ply Heavy Service Truck Tires.” U. S. Department of Transportation Calspan Report No. 6278-T November 1980
- Gusakov, I. Schuring D. J. Kunkel, D. “Rolling Resistance of Truck Tires Measured Under Equilibrium and Transient Conditions on Calspan's Tire Research Facility.” U. S. Department of Transportation Report No. D0T-TSC-78-1 January 1977
- Gusakov, I. Tapia G. A. Bogdan, L. “Equilibrium and Transient Rolling Resistance of Truck Tires Measured on Calspan's Tire Research Facility.” U. S. Department of Transportation Report No. DOT-HS-803812 January 1979
- Bogdan, L.
- Luchini, J. J. “A Mathematical Model for Rubber Hysteresis.” Ph.D. Disertation University of Michigan 1977
- Natrella, M. G. “Experimental Statistics.” National Bureau of Standards Handbook 91 1963