This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Factors Affecting the Formation of Major Mutagenic Substances in Diesel Particulate Extracts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently, mutagenicity of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in particulate extracts of Diesel engine exhaust has been attracting attention. The effects of fuel injection system design and properties of fuel on the amount of two major mutagenic substances, i.e. 1-nitropyrene and benzo(a)pyren were analyzed in this study using a 4 cylinder IDI Diesel engine, Formation of 1-nitropyrene and benzo(a)pyren on the filter was also investigated.
As the result, secondary injection from the fuel injection nozzle was found to be a principal factor in increasing these substances. Modification of the fuel injection system to suppress secondary injection can reduce these mutagenic substances.
CitationSaito, T., Tokura, N., and Katoh, T., "Analysis of Factors Affecting the Formation of Major Mutagenic Substances in Diesel Particulate Extracts," SAE Technical Paper 821244, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821244.
- Huisingh, J.L. Bradow, R. L. Jungers, R.H. Harris, B.D. Zweidinger, R.E. Cushing, K.M. Gill, B.E. and Albert, R.E. “Mutagenic and Carcinogenic Potency of Extracts of Diesel and Related Environmental Emissions: Study Design, Sample Generation, Collection, and Preparation,” Health Effects of Diesel Engine Emissions: Proceedings of an International Symposium Volume 2, EPA-600/9-80-057b, November 1980.
- Gibson, T.L. Oral Presentation at the CRC Diesel Workshop, March 1981.
- Bradow, R.L. Zweidinger, R. Tejada, S. Dropkin, D. and Black, F. “Chemical Composition of Diesel Exhaust Particles,” International Symposium on the Health Effects of Diesel Engine Emissions,Cincinnati, Ohio, December 1979.
- Swarin S.J. and Williams, R.L. “Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Benzo(a)pyrene in Diesel Exhaust Particulate Verification of the Collection and Analytical Methods,” General Motors Research Publication GMR-3127, October 1979.
- Braddock J.N. and Bradow, R.L. “Emissions Patterns of Diesel-Powered Passenger Cars,” SAE Paper 750682.
- Black F. and High, L. “Methodology for Determining Particulate and Gaseous Diesel Hydrocarbon Emissions,” SAE Paper 790422.
- Bradow, R.L. Zweidinger, R.B. Black, F.M. and Diezmann, H.M. “Sampling Diesel Engine Particle and Artifacts from Nitrogen Oxide Interactions,” SAE Paper 820182.
- Gibson, T.L. Ricci, A.I. and Williams, R.L, “Measurement of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Their Derivatives, and Their Reactivity in Diesel Automobile Exhaust,” General Motors Research Publication GMR-347B, November 1980.