This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of ignition and Flame Development in a Spark Ignited Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high resolution study of the early stages of flame development in a spark ignition engine has been performed. Full flame velocity distributions are presented and are discussed in terms of the nature and causes of fluctuations in the flame propagation.
The simultaneous sampling of a number of engine variables such as gas velocity, flame velocity, pressure etc. is necessary for a more complete description of the controlling variables. Techniques are described and data presented for such a multiple sampling experiment.
CitationSwords, M., Kalghatgi, G., and Watts, A., "An Experimental Study of ignition and Flame Development in a Spark Ignited Engine," SAE Technical Paper 821220, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821220.
- Cole J.B. Swords, M.D. SAE Paper 800043 1980
- Cole J.B. Swords, M.D. Proc. 18th Combust, Symp. Waterloo, Canada 1980
- Young, M.B. SAE Paper 810020 1981
- Soltau, J.P. Proc. I. Mech. E. 1960
- Patterson, D.J. SAE Paper 660129 1966
- Kalghatgi G.T Moss, M.J.B. Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on Turbulent Shear Flow London 1974
- Weinberg, F. “Optics of flames” Butterworths London 1963
- Cole J.B. Swords, M.D. J. Phys. (D) 13 733 1980
- Harrow, G.A.
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Sorenson S.C. Hull, W.L. SAE Paper 760160 1976